Help with kinematic equations.

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion with applying kinematic equations in problem-solving. The main issue is knowing which equation to use for each given scenario. The example given involves using the equation \Deltax=1/2(Vf+ Vi)t to solve for distance when given initial and final speed, and time. It is also clarified that constant acceleration means a constant change in velocity with respect to time, which can be observed when accelerating in a car.
pebbles
hello,
i'm having trouble with kinematic equations. i feel that i understand them, but when i get to a problem, I'm so confused. i can figure out what i have and what i don't have, but it's choosing the correct formula that is my main problem.

how do i know when to solve for what?

for example, I'm given speed of 25 m/s [acceleration is constant] and i know that the object comes to rest after 34 seconds and now i am asked to solve for distance

initial speed=25 m/s, final speed=0, time=34 s.

would i use x=1/2(final velocity + initial velocity)t?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is constant acceleration, zero?

pebbles said:
what is constant acceleration, zero?

Yes, you should use equation [tex]\Delta[/tex]x=1/2(Vf+ Vi)t

And not, constant acceleration is not zero. Acceleration is change in velocity, and there's change in velocity since the final speed is 0. Constant acceleration means that velocity change with respect to time is constant.

a=[tex]\Delta[/tex] V /[tex]\Delta[/tex] t or more specific a=dv/dt.

Here's an example. If you are in a car and you push the gas pedal your car will change velocity (accelerate), if you push further and further the gas pedal, your acceleration would change.
If your change in velocity with respect to time is constant then you have constant acceleration.

Related to Help with kinematic equations.

1. What are kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations are a set of mathematical formulas that describe the motion of objects in terms of their position, velocity, acceleration, and time.

2. What are the three main kinematic equations?

The three main kinematic equations are:

• S = ut + 1/2at^2 (displacement formula)
  • v = u + at (velocity formula)
  • v^2 = u^2 + 2as (acceleration formula)

3. How do I use kinematic equations to solve problems?

To use kinematic equations, you need to identify the known and unknown variables in the problem. Then, you can plug these values into the appropriate equation and solve for the unknown variable.

4. What units should be used for kinematic equations?

The standard units for kinematic equations are meters (m) for displacement, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, meters per second squared (m/s^2) for acceleration, and seconds (s) for time.

5. Can kinematic equations be used for any type of motion?

Kinematic equations can be used for any type of motion that is constant or uniform, meaning that the acceleration is constant. These equations are not applicable for motion with changing acceleration, such as free falling objects or objects in circular motion.