Help with inverse Laplace transform.

Thanks for the reply, why can't I multiply both side just with s^2+\omega^2\; and let s^2=-\omega^2\; as shown in post #5 to cancel out both D and E and just concentrate on A and B?This is pretty standard method of partial fraction also to multiply with part of the fraction and then set the value of s to make said fraction to zero. anything about the s^2+\omega^2\; nature that I cannot do this?I don't quite understand the last part of your comment: f(s) = \frac{A(s+\alpha) + B}{(s + \alpha)^2 -\beta^2} + \frac
yungman
I want to perform the inverse of

[tex]\frac s { [(s+α)^2-β^2](s^2+ω^2)} [/tex]

I know the conventional way is

[tex]\frac s { [(s+α)^2-β^2](s^2+ω^2)}= \frac{As+B}{[(s+α)^2-β^2]}+\frac{Ds+E}{(s^2+ω^2)} [/tex]

[tex] s= (As+B)(s^2+ω^2)+(Ds+E)[(s+α)^2-β^2][/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\; A+D=0,\; B+E+2\alpha A=0,\;\alpha^2A-\beta^2A+2\alpha B +D\omega^2=1,\; B\alpha^2-B\beta^2+E\omega^2=0[/tex]

You then expand and find A, B, D and E.

But this is very complicated and long. on top, α and β is a function of equations of constants. So the algebra really blow up. Is there any easy way to solve this?

Is there any site that you can enter the equation in s domain and it will transform back to the original domain.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:

[tex]\frac s { [(s+α)^2-β^2](s^2+ω^2)}= \frac{As+B}{[(s+α)^2-β^2]}+\frac{Ds+E}{(s^2+ω^2)} [/tex]

It would be quite a bit simpler if you factor:$$
(s+\alpha)^2-\beta^2 = ((s+\alpha)+\beta)((s+\alpha)-\beta)$$giving two linear factors.

yungman said:

[tex] s= (As+B)(s^2+ω^2)+(Ds+E)[(s+α)^2-β^2][/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\; A+D=0,\; B+E+2\alpha A=0,\;\alpha^2A-\beta^2A+2\alpha B +D\omega^2=1,\; B\alpha^2-B\beta^2+E\omega^2=0[/tex]

You then expand and find A, B, D and E.

But this is very complicated and long. on top, α and β is a function of equations of constants. So the algebra really blow up. Is there any easy way to solve this?

Is there any site that you can enter the equation in s domain and it will transform back to the original domain.

Welcome to the real world, in which sometimes things are just long and complicated and there is nothing you can do about it. You can, however, define a number of auxiliary quantities, and express the answer in terms of them. For example, you could solve for the A,B,C and D, but leave your final answer in terms of them (without substituting in their final values in terms of α, β and ω).

Alternatively, you can try to find your f(s) in a table of transforms, and read off the answer from there, or you can use a symbolic computer package.

RGV

I'd use the residue theorem to evaluate the Bromwich integral.

LCKurtz said:
It would be quite a bit simpler if you factor:$$
(s+\alpha)^2-\beta^2 = ((s+\alpha)+\beta)((s+\alpha)-\beta)$$giving two linear factors.

Thanks for the reply

Can you check whether I did this correct, I solve for A and B. D and E is easier.

[tex]\frac s { [(s+α)^2-β^2](s^2+ω^2)} \;=\; \frac s {(s^2+ω^2)[(s+\alpha)+\beta][(s+\alpha)-\beta]}\;=\; \frac {As+B}{(s^2+\omega^2)}\;+\;\frac D {(s+\alpha)+\beta}\;+\;\frac E {(s+\alpha)-\beta}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;\frac s {[(s+\alpha)+\beta][(s+\alpha)-\beta]}\;=\; (As+B)\;+\;\frac {D(s^2+ω^2)} {(s+\alpha)+\beta}\;+\;\frac {E(s^2+ω^2)} {(s+\alpha)-\beta}[/tex]

We let [itex]s^2=-\omega^2\;\Rightarrow\;s=j\omega[/itex].

[tex]\Rightarrow\;\frac {j\omega} {[(j\omega+\alpha)+\beta][(j\omega+\alpha)-\beta]}=j\omega A + B[/tex]

[tex]\frac {j\omega} {[(j\omega+\alpha)+\beta][(j\omega+\alpha)-\beta]}\;=\;\frac {j\omega}{(\alpha^2-\beta^2-\omega^2)+j2\alpha\omega}\left[\frac {(\alpha^2-\beta^2-\omega^2)-j2\alpha\omega} {(\alpha^2-\beta^2-\omega^2)-j2\alpha\omega}\right]\;= \frac {j\omega (\alpha^2-\beta^2-\omega^2)+2\alpha \omega^2}{(\alpha^2-\beta^2-\omega^2)^2+4\alpha^2\omega^2}\;=\;j\omega A + B[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow A\;=\;\frac {(\alpha^2-\beta^2-\omega^2)}{(\alpha^2-\beta^2-\omega^2)^2+4\alpha^2\omega^2}\;\hbox {and }\;B\;= \frac {2\alpha \omega^2}{(\alpha^2-\beta^2-\omega^2)^2+4\alpha^2\omega^2}[/tex]

Anyone can help verify I did it right?

yungman said:
Anyone can help verify I did it right?

You did it incorrectly. You need to solve for A, B, D and E all at the same time. Your expressions for A and B are not correct.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
You did it incorrectly. You need to solve for A, B, D and E all at the same time. Your expressions for A and B are not correct.

RGV

But I got A and B represented by all constants independent of D and E! What did I do wrong? That's the reason I posted the steps in detail, it looked to simple to me. But I cannot see any problem.

yungman said:
But I got A and B represented by all constants independent of D and E! What did I do wrong? That's the reason I posted the steps in detail, it looked to simple to me. But I cannot see any problem.

You have
[tex]\frac{As+B}{s^2+\omega^2}+\frac{D}{s+\alpha+\beta}+\frac{E}{s+\alpha-\beta}
= \frac{N}{(s^2+\omega^2)(s+\alpha+\beta)(s+\alpha-\beta)},[/tex]
where
[tex] N = (As+B)(s+\alpha+\beta)(s+\alpha-\beta)+ D(s^2+\omega^2)(s+\alpha-\beta)
+ E(s^2+\omega^2)(s+\alpha+\beta).[/tex]
The numerator N must be = s for all values of s, so that gives 4 equations in the 4 parameters A, B, D and E (that is, the N-coefficients of s3, s2 and s0 must vanish, while the coefficient of s1 must = 1).

However, that is not the way I would do it. I would write your Laplace transform f(s) in the form
[tex] f(s) = \frac{A(s+\alpha) + B}{(s + \alpha)^2 -\beta^2} + \frac{Cs + D}{s^2 + \omega^2} \equiv f_1(s+\alpha) + f_2(s),[/tex]
then note that there is an easy way to get the inverse of f1(s+α) from that of f1(s). Both f1(s) and f2(s) have standard, textbook inverses. Getting A, B, C and D would be done in the manner indicated above.

RGV

Thanks for the reply, why can't I multiply both side just with [itex]s^2+\omega^2\;[/itex] and let [itex]s^2=-\omega^2\;[/itex] as shown in post #5 to cancel out both D and E and just concentrate on A and B?

This is pretty standard method of partial fraction also to multiply with part of the fraction and then set the value of s to make said fraction to zero. anything about the [itex]s^2+\omega^2\;[/itex] nature that I cannot do this?

I don't quite understand the last part of your comment:

[tex] f(s) = \frac{A(s+\alpha) + B}{(s + \alpha)^2 -\beta^2} + \frac{Cs + D}{s^2 + \omega^2} \equiv f_1(s+\alpha) + f_2(s),[/tex]

I understand the last part of your comment. I actually gone this route and find it very tedious as in my post #1, that's the reason I come here to look for an easier way.

Last edited:
You asked before what is wrong with getting A and B independently of D and E. Ehat is wrong is that they are not independent, and you got a wrong answer. I have said all I want on this topic, so I am quitting now.

RGV

Anyone can help?

Your results for A and B are fine. They match what Mathematica comes up with.

vela said:
Your results for A and B are fine. They match what Mathematica comes up with.

Thanks, I was thinking about this, I kind of think the answer is correct except the sign, It can be either +v or -ve. So I have to look into this a little more.

Thanks for your help.

Related to Help with inverse Laplace transform.

1. What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the complex frequency domain and converts it back into the time domain. It is the inverse of the Laplace transform, which transforms a function from the time domain to the frequency domain.

2. Why is an inverse Laplace transform useful?

An inverse Laplace transform is useful because it allows us to solve differential equations in the time domain by transforming them into algebraic equations in the frequency domain. This makes it easier to analyze and solve complex systems and processes in engineering, physics, and other fields.

3. How do you perform an inverse Laplace transform?

To perform an inverse Laplace transform, you need to use a table of Laplace transforms or a software program that can calculate the inverse transform. The basic steps involve substituting the function in the frequency domain into the inverse transform equation, simplifying the equation, and then using the table or software to find the inverse transform.

4. What are some common techniques for finding the inverse Laplace transform?

Some common techniques for finding the inverse Laplace transform include using partial fraction decomposition, using the convolution theorem, and using the method of residues. These techniques can be used to simplify the inverse transform equation and make it easier to find the solution.

5. What are the limitations of the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform has limitations when the function in the frequency domain has complex poles or multiple poles at the same frequency. In these cases, the inverse transform becomes more challenging to calculate and may require more advanced techniques. Additionally, the inverse Laplace transform may not exist for certain functions, making it impossible to find the solution in the time domain.