Help with Inverse Fourier Transform Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in finding the inverse Fourier transform of a given function and the attempts made to solve it using elementary integration techniques. It is suggested to use complex analysis and the residue theorem to solve the integral.
eloso
Hi, I am taking a random process class and I came across a problem that has stumped me. I believe I know the end result but I would like to know how it is solved. I have been out of college for a while and I am a little rusty with integration.

Homework Statement

What I need is to find out the inverse Fourier transform of S(ω)=1/((1+ω^2)^2)

Homework Equations

I know that F^-1(S(ω)) = 1/(2∏) * ∫(S(ω)*e^(j*ω*t), ω,-∞,∞) where j is an imaginary number.

→ F^-1(S(ω)) = ∫(1/((1+ω^2)^2)*e^(j*ω*t), ω,-∞,∞)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it using by parts, but it got very messy and I may be heading the wrong path. This is what I did:

u = (1+ω^2)^-2 du = -4*ω*(1+ω^2)^-3
dv = e^(j*ω*t) v = e^(j*ω*t)/(j*t)

I plugged it into the by parts equation and I felt like going on wouldn't help. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
eloso said:
Hi, I am taking a random process class and I came across a problem that has stumped me. I believe I know the end result but I would like to know how it is solved. I have been out of college for a while and I am a little rusty with integration.

Homework Statement

What I need is to find out the inverse Fourier transform of S(ω)=1/((1+ω^2)^2)

Homework Equations

I know that F^-1(S(ω)) = 1/(2∏) * ∫(S(ω)*e^(j*ω*t), ω,-∞,∞) where j is an imaginary number.

→ F^-1(S(ω)) = ∫(1/((1+ω^2)^2)*e^(j*ω*t), ω,-∞,∞)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve it using by parts, but it got very messy and I may be heading the wrong path. This is what I did:

u = (1+ω^2)^-2 du = -4*ω*(1+ω^2)^-3
dv = e^(j*ω*t) v = e^(j*ω*t)/(j*t)

I plugged it into the by parts equation and I felt like going on wouldn't help. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Mmm. Elementary integration techniques like integration by parts are going to get you nowhere here. You need to use complex analysis for integrals like this (which is pretty typical for Fourier integrals). (1+w^2)=(1+jw)(1-jw). So you have second order poles at +j and -j. You need to use a contour integral and the residue theorem. Any experience with that??

Unfortunately I don't, but I can definitely research the theorems. I appreciate the response.

Related to Help with Inverse Fourier Transform Integral

What is the Inverse Fourier Transform Integral?

The Inverse Fourier Transform Integral is a mathematical operation that allows us to convert a function from the frequency domain to the time domain. It is the inverse operation of the Fourier Transform Integral.

Why is the Inverse Fourier Transform Integral important?

The Inverse Fourier Transform Integral is important because it allows us to analyze signals in both the frequency and time domains. This is useful in many fields, such as signal processing, engineering, and physics.

What is the formula for the Inverse Fourier Transform Integral?

The formula for the Inverse Fourier Transform Integral is:

f(t) = (1/2π)∫F(ω)e^(iωt)dω

where f(t) is the time domain function, F(ω) is the frequency domain function, and ω is the angular frequency.

How is the Inverse Fourier Transform Integral calculated?

The Inverse Fourier Transform Integral is typically calculated using numerical methods or by using tables of known Fourier Transform pairs. It can also be calculated analytically for certain simple functions.

What are some real-life applications of the Inverse Fourier Transform Integral?

The Inverse Fourier Transform Integral has many real-life applications, such as in audio and image processing, data compression, and signal analysis. It is also used in fields like optics, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetics.