Help with interpreting a derivative of a given function geometrically.

In summary, the conversation discusses different aspects of sketching the derivative of a function. It is important to pay attention to horizontal tangents and where the function is increasing or decreasing. The book being used does not provide a clear explanation, leading to the question of what to do with the increasing and decreasing portions. It is also mentioned that for a function to be differentiable at a point, it must be continuous at that point. The conversation also touches on the relationship between the first and second derivatives, and the intermediate value property of derivatives.
TitoSmooth
This is one of the the things I did not quite master in my calculus 1 course last semester. I understand for a function to be different on a point a. It must be defined at point a n not have any cusp or appear vertically tangent.

My question is for a general function. How to I sketch it's derivative?

What I do know: horizontal tangents are very important because these points will lie on the x-axis. Pay attention to see where the line is decreasing and increasing. Do not understand what to do with the increasing and decreasing portion. My book Stewart does not really explain this portion of derivatives in terms I can understand. Sorry for this elementary question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Also it must be continuous at point a

If, at a given point, f is increasing, then f' is positive there. If f is decreasing, f' is negative. In order to transition from "increasing" to "decreasing" the function must "level off" so the derivative there is 0 as you say- to go from positive or negative the derivative must pass through 0. If a function is "convex upward" then the second derivative is positive which means that the first derivative is increasing. Conversely, if a function is "concave downward" the derivative is decreasing.

(You added "Also it must be continuous at point a". It is not clear to me whether you intended "it" to mean the function or the derivative. If a function is not continuous at a, it cannot be differentiable so the question is moot. While the derivative of a differentiable function is not necessarily continuous, it can be shown that it must satisfy the "intermediate value property": If f'(a)= X and f'(b)= Y then f' must take on every value between X and Y at some point between a and b. That why, even if f' is not continuous, if f changes from increasing to decreasing, so that f' changes from positive to negative, f' must be 0 there.)

Related to Help with interpreting a derivative of a given function geometrically.

What is a derivative and how is it related to a given function?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is closely related to a given function because it tells us how the value of the function is changing at that point.

How can a derivative be interpreted geometrically?

A derivative can be interpreted geometrically as the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at a specific point. It represents the rate of change of the function at that point and can be visualized as the steepness of the curve at that point.

Why is it important to understand how to interpret a derivative of a given function geometrically?

Understanding how to interpret a derivative of a given function geometrically is important because it helps us understand the behavior and characteristics of the function. It also allows us to make predictions about the function's values and behavior at different points.

What are some real-world applications of interpreting a derivative of a given function geometrically?

Interpreting a derivative of a given function geometrically has many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects, calculate rates of change in business and finance, and optimize designs in engineering.

Are there any tools or methods that can help with interpreting a derivative of a given function geometrically?

Yes, there are various tools and methods that can help with interpreting a derivative of a given function geometrically. These include visual aids such as graphs, slope fields, and animations, as well as mathematical techniques like the chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule.