Help with Homework Questions: A Desperate Student's Plea

In summary, the person is requesting help on two questions and is struggling due to a mental block. They are unable to complete question 2 and only managed part a of question 4. They are seeking clarification on the concept of arg(z-z) and are unsure about how to approach part iii of question 4. They are advised to consider the equation |z-a|=r as a circle of radius r and center a, and to substitute z1 into the equation and find the arg of -4+4i using the formula tan(arg(z))=y/x. It is also suggested to differentiate the equation of the circle to find the equation of the tangent at z1, and to show that it matches with the equation of the line
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

Hi,
Can someone please explain me on how to do both of the question posted.
Honestly speaking as i type my head is aching real bad, having a total mental block.

Homework Equations

wlambl.png

o7t11u.png

The Attempt at a Solution

for question 2) i don't know which region to shade for all i know is that the radius is equal to 2 or less.As far as the finding out the ranges go arghh i am totally lost.All i remember is that arg(z-z) = constant. :(
For question 4 i managed to do part a but not the rest.
Thanks for your help in advance.
I might rest for awhile or something.I don't know :(.

Physics news on Phys.org
for the first one consider this:

[itex]|z-a|=r[/itex] is the set of all points [itex]\{ z \}[/itex] a distance r from a i.e. it's a circle of radius r and centre a.
so for your example r is easy enough to obtain its just root 2. then just write the modulus bit in the same form as above to get a.

the next bit subsititute z1 in and find the arg of -4+4i recall [itex]\tan{ arg(z) } = \frac{y}{x}[/itex] for z=x+iy

so on so forth with the next one. just check when you put it into the LHS of circle equation you get the RHS to be root 2

part (iii) is a bit harder. i'd write the equation of the circle in the form x^2+y^2=r^2 and differentiate to get the equation of the tangent at teh point z1. now if you write the equation of L in the form y-b=m(x-a), they should hopefully match up. by showing L is tangent to C, you show they touch at that point and don't intersect.

next bit just sketch them. prettty easy.

Related to Help with Homework Questions: A Desperate Student's Plea

What is "Help with Homework Questions: A Desperate Student's Plea"?

"Help with Homework Questions: A Desperate Student's Plea" is a common expression used by students who are struggling with their homework and are seeking assistance from others.

Why do students need help with their homework questions?

Students may need help with their homework questions for various reasons. Some students may find the material difficult to understand, while others may struggle with time management or have personal issues that affect their ability to complete their homework on their own.

What can I do to help a student with their homework questions?

There are several ways you can help a student with their homework questions. You can offer to explain concepts they are struggling with, provide guidance on how to approach a problem, or simply listen and offer moral support. It is important to avoid simply giving them the answers, as this does not help them learn.

How can I encourage a student to seek help with their homework questions?

One way to encourage a student to seek help with their homework questions is to create a supportive and non-judgmental environment. Let the student know that it is okay to ask for help and that seeking assistance is a sign of strength, not weakness. You can also offer to work on the homework together or connect them with a tutor or study group.

What are the benefits of seeking help with homework questions?

Seeking help with homework questions can have several benefits for students. It can improve their understanding of the material, help them develop problem-solving skills, and reduce their stress and anxiety. It can also foster a sense of community and support, as students learn to work together and help each other succeed.