Help with Graphs: Understanding v(t), v(x) and v(a)

• Thread starter HelpMePlz2010
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, it is all about understanding the slope or the area under the curve. Yes, that is what was in mind. and yeah, I understand slope and area for the most part, just the concepts of the graph and how you get the graph are what are vague to me.
HelpMePlz2010
hey, I am not too great at physics, and i know this is going to seem like a relatively elementary question. when in class we learned about graphs, i never fully grasped the concepts of v(t), v(x), and v(a) graphs, such as how they all correlate to each other, and forming them. I am worried that further on in the class they are going to come back and then ill really be screwed. could anyone please clear up the confusion for me?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thank You

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you comfortable with the ideas of slope and area? Let's start from there.

HelpMePlz2010 said:
... v(t), v(x), and v(a) graphs ...
I think you mean x(t), v(t), and a(t) here?

thrill3rnit3 is correct, it's all about taking either the slope or the area under the curve.

yes, that is what i had in mind, sorry.
and yeah i understand slope and area for the most part, just the concept of the graph and how you get the graph is what is vague to me

HelpMePlz2010 said:
yes, that is what i had in mind, sorry.
and yeah i understand slope and area for the most part, just the concept of the graph and how you get the graph is what is vague to me

Welcome to physicsforums! you are certainly welcome to pose questions related to classwork and also join in with some fascinating discussions we have in the forums.

Before I can offer assistance, you may want to refresh yourself on what we https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379"in the homework subforums.

For a hint on getting started, are you familiar with Cartesian coordinate system? (i.e. for a given point in time t, you are some distance x from the origin. So x varies with respect to t. If you're not familiar with Cartesian coordinates, you will want to look that up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Help with Graphs: Understanding v(t), v(x) and v(a)

1. What is the difference between v(t), v(x) and v(a)?

V(t) represents velocity as a function of time, while v(x) represents velocity as a function of position and v(a) represents velocity as a function of acceleration. Each of these functions shows how velocity changes in relation to a specific variable.

2. How do I read a v(t) graph?

A v(t) graph shows velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The slope of the graph at any given point represents the instantaneous velocity at that time. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity.

3. What does a horizontal line on a v(t) graph mean?

A horizontal line on a v(t) graph indicates that the object is not moving, as the velocity is constant at 0.

4. How can I determine acceleration from a v(t) graph?

Acceleration can be determined by finding the rate of change of velocity on a v(t) graph. This can be done by finding the slope of the graph, which represents the change in velocity over time.

5. How can I use v(x) and v(a) to understand motion?

V(x) and v(a) can be used to understand how velocity changes as an object moves through space. By analyzing the functions, you can determine the velocity at any given point, as well as how acceleration affects velocity. These functions can also be used to calculate displacement, time, and other important variables in motion.