Help with Friction and Newtons laws

In summary: N to the object. he then proceeds to pull the object down the ramp with a static force of 100N. find the magnitude of the total force applied to the object.In summary, Marlon applies a static force of 100N to an object at the top of a ramp. He then pulls the object down the ramp with a static force of 100N. The total force applied to the object is 100N + 100N = 200N.
iamgod21
I have this physics problem that has simply been driving me crazy...heres the problem:
Jenn coasts down the hill on a sled, reaching the bottom with a speed of 7.0m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sled's runners and the snow is .05, Jenn has a mass of 62 kg, and the sled has a mass of 3.82 kg. How far do Jenn and the sled travel on the flat surface at the bottom of the hill before coming to rest?
first i set up my diagram
and i set the positives to be down (with gravity) and the direction the sled is going.
then i set up my free body diagram which has mg going down, normal force up, the force of the motion going in the direction of the thread, and kinetic force opposing the motion.
Then i added up the masses and got a total of 65.82kg. Then i continued to find my net forces which i got
Fy = mg - Fn (normal) = ma = 0
and
Fx = Fm (motion w/ the sled) - Fk.
Since i know mg = 645.04 i plugged that in.
Then i know that Fk = mue * mg so i got that Fk = .05.
From here i don't know where to go. Help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a ton!

Physics news on Phys.org
"Then i know that Fk = mue * mg so i got that Fk = .05."

How in the world did you get that? mu itself (the coefficient of friction) is 0.05.
The friction force (which is the only force on the sled) is 0.05*645.04 and is negative since it is taken back opposite to the direction of motion.
Once you know the force, F= ma gives you acceleration.

The initial speed was 7.0 m/s so the speed at any time t is v(t)= 7- at (where a is the acceleration found above. I included the "negative" explicitely here so a is positive). The sled stops when v(t)= 7- at= 0, of course, so you can find the time until it stops.

You know, I presume, that for any acceleration a and initial speed v0, the distance moved is given by x(t)= -(a/2)t2+ v0t (a is the acceleration, again taken positive, and v0 is the intial speed, which was 7).
Since you solved the equation above for the time t until the sled stopped, you can plug it in here and find the distance the sled moved in that time.

hey! Thanks a billion i did that! i came out with an answer of 50 meters...is that what you got? Also, i have another problem, which I'm finding more difficult-
The Problem:
Philip pushes a book up against a wall, holding the book motionless. Given that Philip is pushing with a force P at an angle z, the coefficient of static friction betweeen the book and the wall is h, and that the book has a mass m, find the magnitude of the force Pp such that the book is motionless.

What i did:
I set up my free body diagram, which is Fn (normal force) to the left, mg down, and Fp to the south west (at my angle of z) from here i am completely lost...how would you begin to tackle this problem...
The answer must be in terms of h, z, m, or using sin cos, tan, etc.

I'm not very good when it comes to variables so that's part of the problem...What would you do? Is my free body diagram correct?

1) The normal force from the wall must balance the normal component of P; otherwise, the book would be pushed into the wall.
2) The forces in the vertical direction must also sum to zero..

so are you saying that there would only be three forces affecting the book, P, mh down, and the wall into the book? If this is the case, would the force pushing into the wall be Fn (normal force?)

Related to Help with Friction and Newtons laws

1. What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces that are in contact. It can either slow down or completely stop an object's motion. This force is caused by the microscopic roughness of the surfaces and is dependent on the types of materials and the amount of force pressing the surfaces together.

2. How does Newton's first law relate to friction?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant speed in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force. Friction acts as an external force that can change the speed or direction of an object's motion, causing it to come to a stop.

3. What are the types of friction?

The three types of friction are static friction, sliding friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are not moving relative to each other, sliding friction occurs when two surfaces are moving relative to each other, and rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. This reduces the amount of contact between the surfaces, thereby reducing the frictional force. Additionally, using smoother or more slippery materials for the surfaces can also reduce friction.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the amount of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces. A higher coefficient of friction means there is more resistance to motion, and a lower coefficient of friction means there is less resistance. It is dependent on the types of materials and the force pressing the surfaces together.