Help with Frenet-Serret formula

• Thread starter TopCat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the unit tangent t is always perpendicular to its derivative dt/ds and lies in the normal plane to the curve. The direction of dt/ds is that of the principal normal, n. In order to calculate its magnitude, the curve can be approximated by a circle of curvature in the limit, where the radius is the reciprocal of the acceleration. In this case, ds = d\phi and dt = d\phi, leading to |dt| = d\phi.
TopCat
I'm learning vector analysis at the moment and having a bit of trouble grasping what's being put in front of me.

My book (Theoretical Physics by Joos) explains it as such:

Since this vector (the unit tangent t) is always of unit length, its derivative must always be perpendicular to t, and so must be a vector in the normal plane to the curve. But this derivative, being the vector difference of two consecutive tangent vectors, must lie in the osculating plane formed by the latter, and so its direction is that of the principal normal, which direction we designate by the unit vector n. In order to calculate the magnitude of the vector dt/ds (s is the arc length), we note that the curve, in the neighbourhood of two consecutive tangents, corresponding to three neighbouring points, may be replaced by the circle of curvature, whose centre M is determined by the intersection of the perpendiculars to the two consectutive tangents. The angle [tex]d\phi[/tex] between these tangents is the same as that between the two radii of the circle of curvature. If [tex]\rho[/tex] is the radius of this circle then, in the limit,

[tex]ds = \rho d\phi[/tex].

On the other hand, |dt| = [tex]d\phi[/tex] whence

|dt/ds| = 1/[tex]\rho[/tex].

I understand that dt/ds is perpendicular to t, but the problem I have is where Joos says matter-of-factly that |dt| = [tex]d\phi[/tex]. I simply cannot see how he is coming by that result, geometrically or algebraically. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What am I missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TopCat said:
I'm learning vector analysis at the moment and having a bit of trouble grasping what's being put in front of me.

My book (Theoretical Physics by Joos) explains it as such:
I understand that dt/ds is perpendicular to t, but the problem I have is where Joos says matter-of-factly that |dt| = [tex]d\phi[/tex]. I simply cannot see how he is coming by that result, geometrically or algebraically. Can anyone point me in the right direction? What am I missing?

i can see why this is confusing. It seems to be very old fashioned.

I think he trying to say this. On any curve that is the trajectory of a point that is moving at constant speed one can approximate the motion in the limit as uniform circular motion. In uniform circular motion the only parameter is the radius of the circle. The reciprocal of the radius is the acceleration of the particle. Geometrically the acceleration is the curvature if the particle is moving at unit speed.

In an arbitrary curve nearby tangents are close to being tangent to this instantaneous circle of uniform motion - this osculating circle - and so their perpendiculars intersect ,in the limit, in its center.

So in the limit |ds/dt| since it is just the acceleration is the reciprocal of the radius of this osculating circle.

I just also realized - you get the osculating circle by taking circles that pass by three nearby points and taking the limit as the points are moved towards each other (keeping the middle one fixed). Three points determine a circle uniquely - so in the limit you get some limiting circle - this is the osculating circle.

Last edited:
Starting with [itex]s = \rho \phi[/itex]

the [itex]ds = \rho d\phi[/itex].

Then let ρ = 1, so [itex]ds = 1 d\phi = d\phi[/itex].

dt is the infinitesimal or differential represented by ds = [tex]1\,d\phi\,\hat{t}\,=\,d\phi\,\hat{t}[/tex] where

[tex]\hat{t} = \hat{\phi},\,or\,\bold{t}\,=\,\bold{\phi}, [/tex] the unit vector perpendicular to [tex]\hat{r}[/tex], the radial unit vector.

Thanks a lot for the help! Now I understand it both intuitively and mathematically.

Related to Help with Frenet-Serret formula

1. What is the Frenet-Serret formula?

The Frenet-Serret formula is a mathematical tool used to describe the curvature and torsion of a curve in three-dimensional space. It is used in the study of differential geometry and vector calculus.

2. How is the Frenet-Serret formula used?

The Frenet-Serret formula is used to find the principal normal, binormal, and tangent vectors of a curve at a specific point. These vectors can then be used to determine the curvature and torsion of the curve, as well as other properties such as the osculating plane.

3. What are the applications of the Frenet-Serret formula?

The Frenet-Serret formula has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to model the motion of objects in space, analyze the movement of fluids, and create smooth curves in computer-generated imagery.

4. How do I calculate the Frenet-Serret vectors?

The Frenet-Serret vectors can be calculated using the derivatives of the position vector of the curve. The principal normal vector is found by taking the second derivative, while the binormal vector is found by taking the cross product of the first and second derivatives. The tangent vector is then calculated by taking the cross product of the binormal and principal normal vectors.

5. Are there any limitations to the Frenet-Serret formula?

The Frenet-Serret formula is limited to curves in three-dimensional space and cannot be applied to higher dimensions. Additionally, it assumes that the curve is smooth and differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.