Help with finding the modulus, polar form and polar exponential form

In summary, a modulus in mathematics is the absolute value or magnitude of a complex number, represented by the symbol |z|. To find the modulus of a complex number, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Polar form, also known as polar coordinates, is a way of representing complex numbers using a distance (r) and an angle (θ). To convert a complex number from rectangular form to polar form, you can use the formulas r = √(a^2 + b^2) and θ = tan^-1(b/a). Polar exponential form is another way of representing complex numbers, using the polar form and the exponential function, written as z = re^(iθ). This form is useful for expressing complex numbers in
Cottontails

Homework Statement

Consider the complex number z=(i^201+i^8)/(i^3(1+i)^2).
(a) Show that z can be expressed in the Cartesian form 1/2+(1/2)i.
(b) Find the modulus of 4z − 2z*. (z* meaning z-bar/complex conjugate of z)
(c) Write 2z in polar form.
(d) Write 8z^3 in polar exponential form.

Homework Equations

(a) --
(b) =1+3i
(c) = 1+i, r = √2, θ=π/4
(d) = -2-2i

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I have already done.
(b) I ended up with 1+3i (is this right by the way?), with √1^2+3^2 = √10. So, does the modulus equal √10? However, I entered it into wolfram alpha and got 1-3i instead. So, which one is right?
(c) 2z=√2(cos(π/4)+isin(π/4)). -- Is that right? (Also with wolfram alpha, I got 2z=1-i (cartesian form) so, θ=-π/4 -- is this right instead?)
(d) I am confused with. How would I write out 8z^3? Would I first have to use it with (1/2)+(1/2)i and then write that given equation in polar exponential form? I tried that, with getting -2-2i and therefore, √8e^iπ/4. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (a) it is very helpful to know that [itex]i^2= -1[/itex], [itex]i^3= -i[/itex], and [itex]i^4= 1[/itex]. That means that powers of i are have "period 4". In particular, since 201= 50(4)+ 1, [itex]i^{201}= i[/itex]; since 8= 2(4)+ 0, [itex]i^8= 1[/itex] so you are trying to find [itex]z= -(1+ i)/(i(1+i)^2)= -1/(i(1+i)= i/(1+i)= (1+i)/2[/itex] as claimed.
Then [itex]\overline{z}= (1- i)/2[/itex] so [itex]4z- 2\overline{z}= 2+ 2i- 1+ i= 1+ 3i[/itex] as you say. Are you sure you entered the problem into Wolfram alpha correctly?

Since [itex]z= (\sqrt{2}/2)e^{i\pi/4}[/itex], it follows that [itex]z^3= (\sqrt{2}/2)^3e^{3i\pi/4}= (\sqrt{2}/4)e^{3i\pi/4}[/itex]. Multiplying by 8, [itex]8z^3= 2\sqrt{2}e^{3i\pi/4}[/itex]. [itex]\sqrt{8}= \sqrt{4(2)}= 2\sqrt{2}[/itex] so that is correct but you appear to have forgotten that [itex](a^x)^3= a^{3x}[/itex].

I thought that my answers were right and I guess I must have somehow entered them incorrectly into wolfram alpha then. I was thinking about (2z)^3 = 8z^3 however, I didn't think you were able to rewrite the equation that way (some silly thinking, I know). Thank you for your help, that cleared out all the issues that I had with the question.

Related to Help with finding the modulus, polar form and polar exponential form

1. What is a modulus in mathematics?

A modulus is a mathematical term that refers to the absolute value or magnitude of a complex number. It is represented by the symbol |z| and is always a positive real number.

2. How do I find the modulus of a complex number?

To find the modulus of a complex number, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. Take the real and imaginary parts of the complex number and form a right triangle, then use the formula c = √(a^2 + b^2), where c is the modulus and a and b are the real and imaginary parts, respectively.

3. What is polar form in mathematics?

Polar form, also known as polar coordinates, is a way of representing complex numbers using a distance (r) from the origin and an angle (θ) from the positive real axis. It is written in the form z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the modulus and θ is the argument of the complex number.

4. How do I convert a complex number from rectangular to polar form?

To convert a complex number from rectangular form (a+bi) to polar form (r(cosθ + isinθ)), you can use the formulas r = √(a^2 + b^2) and θ = tan^-1(b/a). These will give you the modulus and argument of the complex number, which can then be substituted into the polar form equation.

5. What is polar exponential form in mathematics?

Polar exponential form is another way of representing complex numbers, using the polar form (r(cosθ + isinθ)) and the exponential function (e^ix). It is written in the form z = re^(iθ), where r is the modulus and θ is the argument of the complex number. This form is useful for expressing complex numbers in a simplified and more compact way.