Help with Density Operators: Peter Yu Seeks Assistance

In summary, the Density Operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical tool used to describe the state of a system. It can be represented as a sum of pure and mixed states, and is used in the Born rule to calculate the expected value of an observable. The equation for the Density Operator can be simplified by using the orthogonality of basis states and rewriting complex numbers in polar form.
Peter Yu
I have difficulty in understanding the Density Operator. Please see attached file. (From the Book " Quantum Mechanics Demystified Page 250)

Most grateful if someone could help!

Peter Yu

Physics news on Phys.org
I have difficulty in understanding the Density Operator. Please see attached file. (From the Book " Quantum Mechanics Demystified Page 250)

Most grateful if someone could help! Here is the attached file!

Peter Yu

Attachments

• Density Operator.pdf
    371.2 KB · Views: 233
The duality operation transforms those ##c_i## into their conjugates. Do the outer product between the vector and its dual and you will get the result (remember that you have two sums, the expansion of the vector and the one of the dual, you have two sums and that's why you have two indices; when the values of the indices coincide, you get ##c_i## multiplied by its conjugate, i.e., the square modulus)

Its best understood the other way around. Forget what you have been told about states - they are not in general elements of a vector space - they are positive operators of unit trace. Operators of the form |u><u| are by definition called pure. The |u> can be mapped to a vector space so pure operators are the ones usually talked about. Operators of the form ∑pi |bi><bi| are called mixed. It can be shown all states are pure or mixed.

The Born rule using this definition of a state is, given an observable O, the expected value of an observation using O, E(O), when a system is in state P, is E(O) = Trace (PO).

Thanks
Bill

To complement aleazk's answer, try it for yourself. Consider the simple case
$$
| \psi \rangle = c_1 | u_1 \rangle + c_2 | u_2 \rangle
$$
Find ##\langle \psi |##, then calculate ##\rho = | \psi \rangle \langle \psi |##.

Hi All,
Thank you very much your all your help!
Now I understand the first part on the first page. But I still have difficulty on the second part on the second page of my attached file.
Thank again!
Peter Yu

Which part of that equation causes you problems? The first or the second equality, or both? Or is it the left-hand side you don't understand?

Hi DrClaude,
First of all many thanks for your kind assistance. I do not understand both side.
Regards,
Peter Yu

The first equality you can find by replacing ρ using the first equation you didn't understand. When first calculating ##\rho | u_j \rangle##, you will get a bunch of ##\langle u_i | u_j \rangle##, which by orthogonality of the basis states ##| u_i \rangle## will result in Kronecker deltas ##\delta_{ij}##. You will thus get ##c_i^* \langle u_i |## from ##\rho## and ##| u_j \rangle## on the left-hand side, resulting in
$$
c_i^* \langle u_i | u_j \rangle = c_i^* \delta_{ij} = c_j^*
$$
You then do the same with the bra ##\langle u_i |## applied to ##\rho##, giving you ##c_i##.

Tjhe second equality you get by rewriting the complex numbers ##c_i## and ##c_j^*## in polar form, as explained at the bottom of page 251.

Likes bhobba
Hi All,
I got it now!
Thank you very much for your help!
Regards!

Likes bhobba

Related to Help with Density Operators: Peter Yu Seeks Assistance

1. What is a density operator?

A density operator, also known as a density matrix, is a mathematical representation used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system. It takes into account both the classical probability distribution of the system and the quantum superposition of its possible states.

2. Why does Peter Yu need assistance with density operators?

Peter Yu may need assistance with density operators because they can be a complex and abstract concept to understand. Additionally, they have many different applications in quantum mechanics and may require specialized knowledge or skills to work with effectively.

3. How are density operators used in quantum mechanics?

Density operators are used in quantum mechanics to describe the state of a quantum system. They can be used to calculate the expected value of an observable, determine the probability of a particular measurement outcome, and study the evolution of a system over time.

4. What are some common challenges when working with density operators?

Some common challenges when working with density operators include understanding the mathematical notation and concepts, choosing an appropriate basis for calculations, and dealing with the non-commutativity of operators in quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of density operators?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of density operators in fields such as quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensing. They are also used in studying complex systems in physics, chemistry, and biology.