Help with cross product proofs

In summary, the two questions are related and are asking for help with a specific problem. The first question asks for help with expanding a vector, and the second asks for help verifying a specific equation. Both are relatively easy problems that can be solved using basic algebra.
imsoconfused
I have a 23 problem assignment due at the end of the week, and although I'm going to have a chance to talk to my teacher about the questions I have, I'd like to go ahead and get going on the problems. I've successfully completed 21 of them, but the last two are stumping me. I'm submitting them here for your help. I really just don't understand!

1. split (A+B)x(A+B) into four terms to deduce that (AXB)=-(BXA)
my first thought is that I need to expand them (obviously), but I'm not quite sure exactly what to expand them TO. I have tried making it (A+B)A X (A+B)B, but that yields (A^2+AB) X (AB+B^2) and I'm not sure how much good that does me. If you could just point me in the direction of what to expand, I think I can get it from there.

2. verify B.(AXB)=0
um... I have absolutely no clue as to what to do. do I use arbitrary variables and solve (e.g. use A=<x,y,z>)?

I know this is a lot to ask, but I just want to get ahead on this homework and understand generally what I'm doing before I talk to my teacher.
thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The 2nd question is related to the first. For the 2nd, just think of any vector at all and compute vXv. When you have that, apply the property (not that particular result!) to 1. To prove 1, just expand the expression out using the distributive property of the cross product.

imsoconfused said:
I have a 23 problem assignment due at the end of the week, and although I'm going to have a chance to talk to my teacher about the questions I have, I'd like to go ahead and get going on the problems. I've successfully completed 21 of them, but the last two are stumping me. I'm submitting them here for your help. I really just don't understand!

1. split (A+B)x(A+B) into four terms to deduce that (AXB)=-(BXA)
my first thought is that I need to expand them (obviously), but I'm not quite sure exactly what to expand them TO. I have tried making it (A+B)A X (A+B)B, but that yields (A^2+AB) X (AB+B^2) and I'm not sure how much good that does me. If you could just point me in the direction of what to expand, I think I can get it from there.
What do you mean by "AB"? Remember that there are two different kinds of multiplication for vectors, dot product and cross product. Don't forget to write the "X"!

More importantly, (A+B)X(A+ B) is NOT "(A+B)XA X (A+B)XB", it is "(A+B)XA + (A+B)XB". Now expand each of those. Are you allowed to use VXV= 0 for any vector V?

2. verify B.(AXB)=0
um... I have absolutely no clue as to what to do. do I use arbitrary variables and solve (e.g. use A=<x,y,z>)?

I know this is a lot to ask, but I just want to get ahead on this homework and understand generally what I'm doing before I talk to my teacher.
thanks in advance!

thank you! hallsofivy, you're so right! if I hadn't been so careless with my signs, I would have seen that this is a really easy problem. I finished the first one, and now I have an idea as to how to do the second. I have to leave the computer right now, but I will come back and post what I got.
thanks again!

ok, I feel stupid for asking that second question. I ended up with the correct answer (checked against several of my classmates) for both, so I'm confident I understand what I need to do from here. sorry for being retarded! =P

Related to Help with cross product proofs

1. What is a cross product?

A cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate forces and torque.

2. How do you prove properties of cross products?

To prove properties of cross products, you must use the definition of cross product and basic properties of vectors, such as distributivity and associativity of scalar multiplication. You may also use geometric arguments and vector algebra to show the properties.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of cross product proofs?

The geometric interpretation of cross product proofs is that the cross product of two vectors is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. This can be visualized using the right-hand rule, where the direction of the cross product is determined by the orientation of the vectors.

4. Are there any shortcuts to solving cross product proofs?

There are no shortcuts to solving cross product proofs, as they require a thorough understanding of vector algebra and properties of cross products. However, some techniques such as using matrix notation or using geometric arguments can make the process easier.

5. How are cross product proofs used in real-world applications?

Cross product proofs are used in many real-world applications, such as calculating forces and torque in physics and engineering, determining the direction of magnetic fields, and solving problems in computer graphics and 3D modeling. They are also important in understanding the relationships between different vectors in mathematical and physical systems.