Help with Coulomb's Law problem needed.

In summary, we are given a scenario where three particles with different charges are placed on an x-axis, with particle 3 having an unknown charge. In order for the net electrostatic force on particle 3 to be zero, the x-coordinate of particle 3 must be equal to the distance between particles 1 and 2. By simplifying the given equation, we can isolate for the value of x and solve for the coordinate.
frankfjf

Homework Statement

In Fig. 21-26, particle 1 of charge +1.0 microCoulombs and particle 2 of charge -3.0 microCoulombs are held at separation L = 10.0cm on an x axis. If particle 3 of unknown charge q3 is to be located such that the net electrostatic force on it from particles 1 and 2 is zero, what must be the (a) x and (b) y coordinates of particle 3?

Fig 21-26 (Sorry, couldn't format the L right, but it's basically the distance between particles q1 and q2.)

-Oq1-------Oq2- X
<----L--->

Homework Equations

F31x + F32x = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is only on the x axis, I already know that the answer to b is zero because otherwise equilibrium would be impossible, so really I'm concerned with a. I've eliminated common factors and converted units and end up with an equation looking like 1E-6/x^2 = 3E-6/(L-x)^2. After taking the square roots of both sides to further simplify, I've got something like .001/x = .002/(L-x).

At this point I should be able to solve for x and then plug in L to get my answer, but how can I isolate x here? Did I do something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
.001/x = .002/(L-x).

Multiply both sides by x

.001 = x*.002/(L-x)

multiply both sides by (L-x)

.001*(L-x) = .002*x

Can you get x now ?

Ah, yes I can. Thanks!

Related to Help with Coulomb's Law problem needed.

1. What is Coulomb's Law and what does it represent?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the force between two charged particles using Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charged particles can be calculated using the formula: F = (k * Q1 * Q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q1 and Q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is the unit of measurement for the force calculated using Coulomb's Law?

The unit of measurement for force in Coulomb's Law is Newtons (N).

4. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be extended to calculate the force between multiple charged particles by considering the individual forces between each pair of particles and adding them together vectorially.

5. How is Coulomb's Law related to the concept of electric fields?

Coulomb's Law is used to calculate the force between two charged particles, but it can also be used to define the concept of electric fields. An electric field is a region of space where a charged particle experiences a force due to the presence of other charged particles. The strength of the electric field at a specific point is determined by the charge of the particles and their distances from that point, as described by Coulomb's Law.