Help With Constraining Parameters in Massive Gravity Action

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to reproduce the results of a paper that determined the best fit values of parameters (u,B,c3,c4) in the Massive Gravity action (1). The speaker used the values from table I and equations (9), (10), (11) to calculate omega lambda, S, and Q. However, when using a different value of the graviton mass and the parameters B, c3, and c4 from table II, the speaker was unable to obtain the same results as before. They are seeking help to understand where they went wrong and suggest checking units and using the parameters from the paper itself.
xdrgnh
I'm trying to reproduce the results of https://arxiv.org/pdf/1205.1613.pdf where the authors determined the best fit values of the parameters (u,B,c3,c4) in the Massive Gravity action (1)

Using the values they tallied for the best fit parameters as outlined in table I and equations (9), (10), (11) I determined omega lambda, S and Q to be 0.85227,0.0481201,-0.182476 respectively. Using a value of the graviton mass of 2.85*10^-69 kg in table II I calculate u to be 1.16384*10^-23. Using the values of B=.39 c3=2.42 and c4=-2.88 in table II I am unable to obtain using equation (6) the density parameters I calculated above with equation (9), (10) ,(11).This inconsistency make me highly doubt that I am correctly using the BF values to calculate the parameters in the MG action (1). Can anyone of you please help me understand where I am going wrong. Perhaps my value of u is totally off and that is why I'm getting inconsistent results with (6). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Space news on Phys.org
Please use LaTeX for describing complicated ideas like this. Makes it vastly easier to follow.

Two things I suggest:
1. Check your units. This can help to ensure that you've made your calculations correctly. Online calculators like Google or Wolfram Alpha support calculations with units and know most of the physical constants.
2. Make sure you're using the other parameters (e.g. ##H_0##) that are given in the paper, not from somewhere else.

Related to Help With Constraining Parameters in Massive Gravity Action

What is massive gravity action?

Massive gravity action is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to modify the theory of general relativity by introducing a massive graviton, which is the hypothetical particle responsible for gravity. This modification is proposed to solve certain issues in the standard theory of general relativity, such as the cosmological constant problem and the observed acceleration of the expansion of the universe.

Why is constraining parameters important in massive gravity action?

Constraining parameters in massive gravity action is important because it allows us to test the theory against observational data and make predictions that can be verified through experiments. By determining the values of these parameters, we can better understand the behavior of massive gravity and its implications for our understanding of gravity and the universe.

What methods are used to constrain parameters in massive gravity action?

There are several methods used to constrain parameters in massive gravity action. Some of the common methods include using cosmological observations, such as the cosmic microwave background, galaxy surveys, and gravitational lensing, to test the theory's predictions against observational data. Another method is to use laboratory experiments, such as high-energy particle collisions, to probe the behavior of massive gravity at smaller scales.

What are the challenges in constraining parameters in massive gravity action?

One of the main challenges in constraining parameters in massive gravity action is the complexity of the theory and the difficulty in obtaining precise observational data. This can make it challenging to accurately determine the values of the parameters and their effects on the theory. Additionally, since massive gravity is a relatively new and still developing theory, there is still much research needed to fully understand its implications and constraints.

What are the potential implications of constraining parameters in massive gravity action?

Constraining parameters in massive gravity action has the potential to provide a deeper understanding of gravity and its role in the universe. It could also potentially lead to the development of new technologies, such as improved methods for space travel or more accurate models for predicting the behavior of celestial objects. Additionally, it could help us better understand the fundamental nature of the universe and potentially lead to new discoveries and breakthroughs in physics.