Help with Building an AM Demodulator

• Thread starter walwaldoggy1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses building an AM demodulator and the issues with the circuitry. One suggestion is to use a lower frequency carrier wave instead of the planned 200kHz sine wave. The filters being used are also causing problems due to the low resistance, and it is recommended to use a higher resistance for easier driving. The question of whether the signal is being radiated is also brought up.
walwaldoggy1
Hey all,

I'm building an AM demodulator (like the ones in radios) and it seems that I have some problems with the circuitry.

I plan to modulate the AM signal with 200kHz sine wave, but some has suggested that this frequency was too high and I should rather use a lower frequency carrier wave. Also, currently I am using a highpass filter with
R= 10 ohms / C= 1 uF ~ cutoff freq: 150kHz
and a lowpass filter with
R = 6ohms / C=1 uF ~ cutoff freq: 250kHz.
For some reason, however, the wave after the filters seem to be dampend by a great deal and does not recover the original wave very efficiently.

All inputs will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Modulating with a 200KHz is way way too high. You want to start with a carrier frequency of a few hundred kHz and modulate with a signal of say 5KHz to play with. For a carrier that can accept 200KHz modulation frequency, you need carrier to be way into 50MHz. And at that the side band will cause too much interference to other radios.

You use too low a resistor for your filters. You cannot use 50Ω or so resistor and a big cap. It takes a lot of power to drive that low impedance. You want to start with say 1KΩ or higher, then most of the transistors or op-amp can drive easily. You do the calculation like what you do by scaling down the capacitance. Only when you get to much higher frequency then you need to use 50Ω type of impedance.

Are you radiating your signal? If you aren't radiating the signal it really doesn't matter what frequency you use. What is your carrier frequency? Are your filters used before or after the demodulator? Can you post your circuit?

Related to Help with Building an AM Demodulator

1. How does an AM demodulator work?

An AM demodulator works by extracting the original audio signal from a modulated carrier wave. This is done by using a diode to rectify the modulated radio frequency (RF) signal, which results in a pulsating direct current (DC) signal. The DC signal is then filtered and amplified to recover the original audio signal.

2. What components are needed to build an AM demodulator?

The main components needed to build an AM demodulator are a diode, a capacitor, and an audio amplifier. Other optional components may include an inductor, a potentiometer, and additional capacitors for filtering and tuning purposes.

3. Can I use any type of diode for an AM demodulator?

No, not all diodes are suitable for use in an AM demodulator. The diode used should have a fast switching speed and low forward voltage drop, such as a germanium diode or a schottky diode. These types of diodes are better at rectifying high-frequency signals, which is important for AM demodulation.

4. How do I tune my AM demodulator?

Tuning an AM demodulator involves adjusting the values of the inductor and capacitor in the tank circuit to match the carrier frequency of the AM signal. This can be done by using a potentiometer to fine-tune the circuit. Alternatively, a variable capacitor can be used to adjust the capacitance in the tank circuit.

5. What is the purpose of the audio amplifier in an AM demodulator?

The audio amplifier in an AM demodulator is used to amplify the weak audio signal recovered from the modulated carrier wave. This is necessary because the output of the demodulator is usually a low-voltage signal that is not strong enough to drive a speaker or headphones. The audio amplifier boosts the signal to a usable level for listening.