Help with basic Calculus (Equation of a Tangent Line) Please?

In summary: You can find b from the original equation by plugging in your x and y values. Then plug that value of b into the slope-intercept form to get the final equation for the tangent line.
Spencero94
This is my first post, and I'm excited to be able to receive quality help from what seems to be a good place. I'll attempt to start using the proper format and make it easy for everyone to read, thank you for the help! This should be a simple problem, but I seem to have forgotten how to do it.

Homework Statement

Write the equation of the line tangent to the curve 3x3+y3=10xy at the point (1,3)

Homework Equations

3x3+y3=10xy

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt revolved around getting x and y on separate sides of the equation, then taking the derivative of each side. I ended up getting:

y'(x)=(10y-9x2)/(-10x+3y2)

For some reason I thought to plug set that equal to 0 and then plug in my x and y coordinates and then plug that value into x for my original equation, but I know something went completely wrong somewhere, so I'm wondering at what point I went wrong and was wondering if there were a few starting steps I could get to do a problem like this. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Spencero94 said:
This is my first post, and I'm excited to be able to receive quality help from what seems to be a good place. I'll attempt to start using the proper format and make it easy for everyone to read, thank you for the help! This should be a simple problem, but I seem to have forgotten how to do it.

Homework Statement

Write the equation of the line tangent to the curve 3x3+y3=10xy at the point (1,3)

Homework Equations

3x3+y3=10xy

my attempt revolved around getting x and y on separate sides of the equation, then taking the derivative of each side. I ended up getting:

For some reason I thought to plug set that equal to 0 and then plug in my x and y coordinates and then plug that value into x for my original equation, but I know something went completely wrong somewhere, so I'm wondering at what point I went wrong and was wondering if there were a few starting steps I could get to do a problem like this. Thanks!

The tangent to the curve at (1,3) is given by y'(1). That doesn't have to be zero. Find what it is by putting x=1 and y=3 into the derivative formula you so correctly derived.

Likes 1 person
Spencero94 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

3x3+y3=10xy

Hi Spencer! Welcome to PF! This is a great resource, and not only for HW help.

Your equation for the derivative is correct. I'm not sure what you're setting equal to 0; at this point plug in your values for x and y to get the value for the derivative, or equivalently the slope. What would you do next, now that you have a point and a slope?

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much for your replies!

I believe that the number I get after plugging in would then be slope (m) and then I could easily plug that into y=mx+b and get my full answer. Such a simple problem that I over-thought!

Spencero94 said:
Thank you so much for your replies!

I believe that the number I get after plugging in would then be slope (m) and then I could easily plug that into y=mx+b and get my full answer. Such a simple problem that I over-thought!

Almost. That should be the final form of the equation after simplifying. The equation you plug the numbers into is slightly different: ##y - y_1 = m (x - x_1)##

Ohh, thank you. Is it also possible to find b first using y=mx+b and then to plug b back into the slope intercept form, or is that considered incorrect procedure?

Spencero94 said:
Ohh, thank you. Is it also possible to find b first using y=mx+b and then to plug b back into the slope intercept form, or is that considered incorrect procedure?

That is a fine procedure.

Related to Help with basic Calculus (Equation of a Tangent Line) Please?

1. What exactly is a tangent line in calculus?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a curve at only one point. In calculus, it is used to approximate the behavior of a curve at a specific point.

2. How do you find the equation of a tangent line?

To find the equation of a tangent line, you need to find the slope of the tangent line at the given point and the point itself. Then, you can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation.

3. What is the point-slope form of a line?

The point-slope form of a line is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where (x1, y1) is a given point on the line and m is the slope of the line.

4. How do you find the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a tangent line can be found using the derivative of the function at the given point. The derivative represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point, which is equivalent to the slope of the tangent line.

5. Can you give an example of finding the equation of a tangent line?

Sure! Let's say we have the function f(x) = x^2 and we want to find the equation of the tangent line at the point (2, 4). First, we take the derivative of f(x) to get f'(x) = 2x. Then, we plug in x = 2 to find the slope of the tangent line: f'(2) = 2(2) = 4. Finally, we can use the point-slope form to write the equation of the tangent line as y - 4 = 4(x - 2), which simplifies to y = 4x - 4.