Help with B field for a homemade electromagnet

In summary, the individual is seeking help with their calculations for a physics demo involving a basic electromagnet made of copper wire, a 6 volt battery, and a carbon steel screw. They compare the strength of their magnet to a neodymium magnet and suspect that the magnetic field is too large. Their calculations involve variables such as wire characteristics, solenoid core dimensions, and magnetic permeability. After checking their calculations and finding them to be accurate, they discover that the current in the wire is only 5.6A, which is more believable than the initially calculated 62.2118A. They also address the issue of battery voltage and internal resistance.
StormDuck

Homework Statement

I'm doing a physics demo, and I've made basic electromagnet using some copper wire, a 6 volt battery, and a carbon steel screw, and I need help checking my calculations because I think the magnetic field for my magnet is too large. I've double checked everything and can't come up with why it's so large...(The reason I think it's not nearly as strong is I have a a neodymium magnet to compare it with, which has ~ 1.25 T B field, and although it is close to it's strength, it is not as strong). The only thing that makes the B-field believable to me in terms of strength is removing the relative permeability constant.

Variables used in my calculations:
Wire characteristics: 7.3152 m, 16 AWG (cross sectional area of 1.330763e-6 m2)
Solenoid Core: .135m long carbon steel screw with a radius of approx 0.05m
6 volt battery
μ0 = 4π × 10−7 H/m
μcarbon steel1.26×10−4 H/m

Homework Equations

R=ρl/A

I = V/R

B=kμ0nI

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Wire: 24 ft. (7.3152 m), 16 AWG
Solenoid Core: 0.135m long Carbon Steel Screw with a radius of approx. 0.05m

Carbon Steel magnetic permeability (μ) = 1.26e-4 H/m => a relative permeability of ~100 (μ/μ0)

Resistance = ρl/A

ρ = 1.724e-8 ohm*m, l = 7.3152 m, A= 1.330763e-6 m2

Resistance = 0.0964 ohms

I = V/R

V = 6 V, R = 0.0964 ohms => I= 62.2118 Amperes

B=kμ0nI μ0 = 4πe-7 T*m/A n= 143 turns/0.135 m = 1059.259259 turns/m k=relative permeability of carbon steel = 100

B = (100)(4πe-7 T*m/A)( 1059.259259 turns/m)( 62.2118 Amperes) = 8.281 Tesla

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK to check: (I like using B = μNi/L ~ 1.3e-4 H/m * 143 turns * 62.2A / 0.135m ~ 8.6T.
But here's the thing: what kind of battery are you running? The power dissipation in your wire is a whopping 348W which, to be frank, I wonder about. Did you measure your battery voltage when the wire was connected?
Otherwise your calculations look good.

I'm using a Eveready 6 Volt Lantern Battery 1209, and unfortunately I don't have a voltmeter to test it at the moment. So, no, I didn't measure it when the wire was connected.

Okay, I found an old multimeter, and I believe I've got it measuring correctly, reading almost exactly 6 volts without the wire, and ~.5 volts with the wires hooked up.

StormDuck said:
Okay, I found an old multimeter, and I believe I've got it measuring correctly, reading almost exactly 6 volts without the wire, and ~.5 volts with the wires hooked up.
That's more like it. So compute your current as 0.5V/0.09ohms= 5.6A. The coil should still feel hot at ~ 2.8W dissipation. And the 0.5V might not hold up for long so monitor that too.

Likes StormDuck
rude man said:
That's more like it. So compute your current as 0.5V/0.09ohms= 5.6A. The coil should still feel hot at ~ 2.8W dissipation. And the 0.5V might not hold up for long so monitor that too.

Awesome, thank you, that makes everything seem way more believable. I appreciate the help greatly.

StormDuck said:
Awesome, thank you, that makes everything seem way more believable. I appreciate the help greatly.
You're most welcome.

62.2118 Amperes is impossible to reach from a 6 volt battery because of its internal resistance (6 volt battery short circuit current is <20 amperes approx.)

Related to Help with B field for a homemade electromagnet

1. How do I determine the strength of my homemade electromagnet's B field?

The strength of an electromagnet's B field is determined by the current passing through the wire and the number of coils in the wire. The higher the current and the more coils, the stronger the B field will be. You can also use a gaussmeter to measure the strength of the B field.

2. How can I increase the strength of my homemade electromagnet's B field?

To increase the strength of the B field, you can increase the current passing through the wire, add more coils to the wire, or use a material with a higher magnetic permeability such as iron or steel as the core of the electromagnet.

3. How far does the B field extend from a homemade electromagnet?

The strength of the B field decreases with distance from the electromagnet. The extent of the B field depends on the strength of the current, number of coils, and the type of core material used. Generally, the B field will extend a few inches from the electromagnet.

4. Can I control the strength of the B field in my homemade electromagnet?

Yes, the strength of the B field can be controlled by adjusting the amount of current passing through the wire. You can use a variable power supply or a potentiometer to adjust the current and therefore the strength of the B field.

5. How can I use a homemade electromagnet's B field for practical applications?

Homemade electromagnets can be used in a variety of practical applications such as lifting and moving small metal objects, creating a magnetic door lock, or building a simple speaker. They can also be used in science experiments or demonstrations to observe the effects of magnetic fields.