Help with an integral (substitution method)

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of substitution for integrating the square root of a polynomial expression with constant p. The initial step is to factor under the radical, and the next step involves using a substitution, u = x^2 + p. The conversation also addresses the issue of calculating a definite integral with a discontinuous antiderivative and suggests treating it as two improper integrals. The expert also mentions that the u-form does not consider the sign of x, and therefore, using the x-form is recommended.
fernlund
Hello! I need help to integrate the square root of:

p x2 + x4

by the method of substitution, p is just a constant. I've been trying for a long time but I can't get it right. I know the answer and it still doesn't help. Thanks! (sorry, I don't know the Latex stuff)

Physics news on Phys.org
I would begin by factoring under the radical in the integrand:

\(\displaystyle \int\sqrt{x^2\left(x^2+p\right)}\,dx\)

What do you suppose the next step should be?

MarkFL said:
I would begin by factoring under the radical in the integrand:

\(\displaystyle \int\sqrt{x^2\left(x^2+p\right)}\,dx\)

What do you suppose the next step should be?

Thank you so much. Actually, that's about as far as I've gotten. Then I was thinking I should subtitute

u = \(\displaystyle p + x^2 \)

and maybe break out the \(\displaystyle \sqrt{x^2} \) but that would give me \(\displaystyle \left|x\right|\) right? Or rather, this is wrong, right?

\(\displaystyle \int x \sqrt{p + x^2} \)

I think I'm missing something obvious.

Yes, we would have:

\(\displaystyle \int|x|\sqrt{x^2+p}\,dx\)

I would first treat $x$ as if is is positive, and concern myself with the sign of $x$ at the end. So next we write:

\(\displaystyle \int x\sqrt{x^2+p}\,dx\)

So, using the substitution you suggest:

\(\displaystyle u=x^2+p\)

What differential do we need?

MarkFL said:
Yes, we would have:

\(\displaystyle \int|x|\sqrt{x^2+p}\,dx\)

I would first treat $x$ as if is is positive, and concern myself with the sign of $x$ at the end. So next we write:

\(\displaystyle \int x\sqrt{x^2+p}\,dx\)

So, using the substitution you suggest:

\(\displaystyle u=x^2+p\)

What differential do we need?

Well my next step would be

\(\displaystyle \d{u}{x} = 2x\) and

x = \(\displaystyle \ \d{u}{x} \frac{1}{2}\)

which would lead to

\(\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{2} \int \sqrt{u} du \implies \)

\(\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{3} {u}^{\frac{3}{2}} + C \)

but that's not correct, so I'm still missing something.

Yes, I would write:

\(\displaystyle u=x^2+p\,\therefore\,du=2x\,dx\)

and if we write the integral as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\int\sqrt{x^2+p}\cdot2x\,dx\)

then applying the substitution, we get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\int u^{\frac{1}{2}}\,du\)

Now, applying the power rule for integration, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\int u^{\frac{1}{2}}\,du=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{u^{\frac{3}{2}}}{\dfrac{3}{2}}\right)+C=\frac{1}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}}+C\)

So, next we want to back-substitute for $u$, and then multiply by the sign of $x$, which can be written as \(\displaystyle \frac{|x|}{x}\)...what do you get?

MarkFL said:
Yes, I would write:

\(\displaystyle u=x^2+p\,\therefore\,du=2x\,dx\)

and if we write the integral as:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\int\sqrt{x^2+p}\cdot2x\,dx\)

then applying the substitution, we get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\int u^{\frac{1}{2}}\,du\)

Now, applying the power rule for integration, we have:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\int u^{\frac{1}{2}}\,du=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{u^{\frac{3}{2}}}{\dfrac{3}{2}}\right)+C=\frac{1}{3}u^{\frac{3}{2}}+C\)

So, next we want to back-substitute for $u$, and then multiply by the sign of $x$, which can be written as \(\displaystyle \frac{|x|}{x}\)...what do you get?

Oh yeah, that's correct! Thank you so much, it was the sign of x that did it. But then I have another question.

Actually, what I want to do is calculate the original, definite integral from x = -1 to = 2 which is a bit problematic since the antiderivate which we just calculated isn't continuous at x = 0.

I could calculate the integral by looking at two intervals, from -1 to 0 and then 0 to 2, and use the limits at x = 0, but shouldn't I be able to do it directly with the u-substitution and changing the interval from [-1,2] to [28,31] (u = x^2 +p)?

If I do that I don't get the right answer.

I would integrate in terms of $x$, and treat it as two integrals as you suggest, two improper integrals...

MarkFL said:
I would integrate in terms of $x$, and treat it as two integrals as you suggest, two improper integrals...

OK, thank you so much! It really means a lot to me that you took your time :) Is it even possible to calculate it as a definite integral in the u-form?

fernlund said:
OK, thank you so much! It really means a lot to me that you took your time :) Is it even possible to calculate it as a definite integral in the u-form?

The $u$-form does not consider the sign of $x$...that's why I would use the $x$-form. :D

Related to Help with an integral (substitution method)

1. What is the substitution method for solving integrals?

The substitution method is a technique used to solve integrals by substituting a variable in the integral with a new variable, making it easier to solve. This new variable is chosen based on the original integral's form and can help simplify the integral and make it more manageable to solve.

2. When should I use the substitution method for solving an integral?

The substitution method is most helpful when the integral involves a complicated function or contains a function within a function. It is also useful when the integral contains a variable with a high exponent or when the integral is a rational function.

3. How do I choose the substitution variable for an integral?

The general rule is to choose a variable that will make the entire integral simpler to solve. In most cases, the variable used in the substitution will be the inner function of the integral. However, other variables can also be used depending on the form of the integral.

4. Can I use the substitution method for all integrals?

No, the substitution method can only be used for certain types of integrals. It is not effective for all integrals and may sometimes complicate the problem instead of simplifying it. In some cases, other integration techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions may be more suitable.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using the substitution method?

One common mistake is forgetting to substitute the differential term when making the variable substitution, leading to an incorrect solution. It is also important to check the limits of integration and make any necessary adjustments after the substitution. Another mistake is choosing the wrong substitution variable, which can make the integral more complicated instead of simplifying it.