Help with accelerated coordinate system question

In summary, the ball thrown vertically upward with velocity v on the Earth's surface will land a distance (4wsin(beta)v^3/3g^2) to the west where w is the angular velocity of the Earth's rotation and beta is the colatitude angle.
Ed Quanta
Ok, so if a ball is thrown vertically upward with velocity v on the Earth's surface. (Air resistance being neglected). I have to show that the ball lands a distance (4wsin(beta)v^3/3g^2) to the west where w is the angular velocity of the Earth's rotation and beta is the colatitude angle.

fIhave equations for the centrifugal force where Fcf=-mw x (w x r)
for the Coriolis force where Fcor=-2mw x v

and through this should be able to solve this equation which goes something like

F=mg +Fcor +Fcf where F=mass multiplied by the acceleration of coordinate system. Help anybody?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you supposed to solve or derive the equation that you have given in the first paragraph? It seems more like a derivation.

Off the top of my head, I would set it up in spherical polar coordinates. Don't forget that the equation for force that you gave is a vector equation. Basically, you will get 3 equations (that I think will be coupled). I see if I can give you more specifics if I find some time later.

Thanks, I have a lot of trouble with spherical coordinates and seeing 3 dimensions in my head and mathematically. I derived something sort of close looking using the vector equations I gave. Thanks for just taking a look at this anywayz.

It seems like this is an excercise in choosing the reasonable level of approximation. For instance, you could go all out and solve in spherical polar coordinates, which would be a complete mess. You could take it down several notches and make some approximations like r ~ r0 and θ ~ θ0 throughout the process. I tried it this way, but I think I slipped up somewhere (I used Laplace transforms; it was still a mess, and I got a zero where I don't think there should be one). Something that just occurred to me, you could estimate the coriolis effect by applying it to the average value of the velocity (but that might just cancel/give zero). I might look at my approach again and see if I can find my error.

Related to Help with accelerated coordinate system question

1. What is an accelerated coordinate system?

An accelerated coordinate system is a type of coordinate system used to describe the motion of an object that is undergoing acceleration. It takes into account the changing velocity and position of the object over time.

2. How is an accelerated coordinate system different from a standard coordinate system?

In a standard coordinate system, the position and velocity of an object are described using fixed axes. In an accelerated coordinate system, the axes are constantly changing to account for the acceleration of the object.

3. How do you determine the acceleration in an accelerated coordinate system?

The acceleration in an accelerated coordinate system can be determined by calculating the rate of change of the object's velocity over time. This can be done using the formula a = (v2-v1)/t, where a is the acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. What are some real-world applications of an accelerated coordinate system?

An accelerated coordinate system is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to study the motion of objects that are accelerating, such as a rocket launching into space or a car accelerating on a track.

5. How can I use an accelerated coordinate system to solve problems?

To solve problems using an accelerated coordinate system, you first need to identify the object's initial position, velocity, and acceleration. Then, you can use equations of motion, such as the ones derived from Newton's laws, to calculate the object's position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time.