Help with a trig to sum identity.

In summary, the conversation was about trying to show the equality between N=0 to ∞ Ʃ cos(2nθ)(-1)^n/(2n)! and cos(cos(θ))cosh(sin(θ)). The speaker started by using the standard series for cosine and replacing the x term with cos(2nθ). However, this did not lead to the desired result and it was suggested that cos(θ) should be used instead.
Gallani
I have been working on showing the equality between

N=0 to ∞ Ʃ cos(2nθ)(-1)^n/(2n)! = cos(cos(θ))cosh(sin(θ))

I started by using the standard series for cosine and putting cos(2nθ) in for the x term.

I did the same for cosh(sin(θ)). I manipulated the forms every way I could think but it never looked anything like the answer I seek.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gallani said:
I have been working on showing the equality between

N=0 to ∞ Ʃ cos(2nθ)(-1)^n/(2n)! = cos(cos(θ))cosh(sin(θ))

I started by using the standard series for cosine and putting cos(2nθ) in for the x term.

I did the same for cosh(sin(θ)). I manipulated the forms every way I could think but it never looked anything like the answer I seek.

You don't want to put ##\cos{(2n \theta)}## into the formula, you want ##\cos{(\theta)}##. Maybe that's where you went wrong?

Related to Help with a trig to sum identity.

1. What is a trig to sum identity?

A trig to sum identity is a mathematical formula that expresses a trigonometric function as a sum or difference of other trigonometric functions. It is used to simplify and solve complex trigonometric equations.

2. How do I use a trig to sum identity?

To use a trig to sum identity, you must first identify the given trigonometric expression and then find the corresponding identity from a trigonometric identity table. Then, substitute the values and simplify the expression to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the common trig to sum identities?

Some of the common trig to sum identities include the double angle identities, half-angle identities, and sum and difference identities. Examples include sin(2x) = 2sin(x)cos(x), sin(x + y) = sin(x)cos(y) + cos(x)sin(y), and cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x).

4. Can I derive my own trig to sum identities?

Yes, it is possible to derive new trig to sum identities by using basic trigonometric identities and manipulating them algebraically. However, it requires a deep understanding of trigonometry and is not commonly done.

5. How can a trig to sum identity be helpful?

A trig to sum identity can be helpful in simplifying complex trigonometric expressions and solving trigonometric equations. It is also used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and navigation, to calculate angles and distances.