Help with a Problem Involving Eigenvalues and Exponential Functions

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving eigenvalues and a system of equations. The solution involves finding the roots of a quadratic equation, using them to find the eigenvectors, and using those to create a general solution. The person seeking help encountered issues but ultimately figured it out with their professor's assistance.
PBJinx
1.[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]= [tex]\stackrel{9 -12}{2 -1}[/tex]

x(0)=[tex]\stackrel{-13}{-5}[/tex]

So I seem to be having issues with this problem

There are 2 eigenvalues that I obtained from setting

Det[A-rI]=0

That gave me [tex]r^{2}-8r+15=0[/tex]

solving for r and finding the roots i got

(r-3)*(r-5)=0

so the roots are [tex]r_{1}=3[/tex] and [tex]r_{2}=5[/tex]

putting those back into [A-rI] i obtained

[tex]r_{1}[/tex]

4y-12z=0
2y-6z=0

so the vector [tex]w_{1}=\stackrel{2}{1}[/tex]

for [tex]r_{2}[/tex] i obtained

4y-12z=0
2y-6z=0

so [tex]w_{2}=\stackrel{3}{1}[/tex]

I am now left with this equation

v(t)=[W][[tex]e^{t\Lambda}[/tex]c

Where c=[[tex]W^{-1}[/tex][tex]v_{0}[/tex]

that leads to finding [tex]W^{-1}[/tex] where W=[tex]\stackrel{2 3}{1 1}[/tex]

[tex]W^{-1}=\stackrel{-1 3}{1 -2}[/tex]

c=[[tex]\stackrel{2}{3}[/tex]

I put back into my equation and get

V(t)=[tex]\stackrel{4e^{3t} + 6e^{5t}}{2e^{3t}+3e^{5t}}[/tex]

i put that into webwork and i get an incorrect answer

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
do you mean
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} x_1' \\ x_2' \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 9 & -12 \\ 1 & -2\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

lanedance said:
do you mean
[tex]\begin{pmatrix} x_1' \\ x_2' \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix} 9 & -12 \\ 1 & -2\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix} x_1 \\ x_2 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

yes, sorry i am not used to using typing it out this way

just a little hard to work out exactly what youre doing, I'm not too sure what you did with the wronksian

isn't the general solution
[tex] \textbf{v(t)} = \textbf{w}_1 e^{3t}+ \textbf{w}_2 e^{5t}[/tex]

lanedance said:
just a little hard to work out exactly what youre doing, I'm not too sure what you did with the wronksian

isn't the general solution
[tex] \textbf{v(t)} = \textbf{w}_1 e^{3t}+ \textbf{w}_2 e^{5t}[/tex]

thank you for the help. i went to the professor today and figured it out with him.

Related to Help with a Problem Involving Eigenvalues and Exponential Functions

1. What are eigenvalues and why are they important?

Eigenvalues are a concept in linear algebra that represent the scalar values that are associated with a square matrix. They are important because they provide information about the properties and behavior of the matrix, such as its size, shape, and transformation capabilities.

2. How do I find the eigenvalues of a matrix?

To find the eigenvalues of a matrix, you must solve the characteristic equation, which is defined as det(A-λI) = 0, where A is the matrix, λ is the variable, and I is the identity matrix. This will result in a polynomial equation, and the solutions to this equation are the eigenvalues of the matrix.

3. What is the relationship between eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors to the eigenvalues of a matrix. They represent the direction in which the matrix performs its transformation. The eigenvalues determine the scale of the eigenvectors, and together they provide a complete understanding of the matrix's behavior.

4. How are exponential functions related to eigenvalues?

Exponential functions are functions of the form f(x) = ab^x, where a is a constant and b is the base. They are related to eigenvalues because the eigenvalues of a matrix are the solutions to the characteristic equation, which is a polynomial function. Exponential functions also have a close relationship with matrices through the concept of matrix exponentiation.

5. Can eigenvalues be negative or complex numbers?

Yes, eigenvalues can be negative or complex numbers. This is because the characteristic equation can result in polynomial equations with real, complex, or imaginary solutions. In fact, the presence of complex eigenvalues can provide valuable information about the matrix, such as its rotation or stretching capabilities.