Help with a power supply (farnell G6 60a)

In summary, a new member of the forum is seeking help in powering a matrix of 64 servo motors with a single power supply. They have calculated the required power and purchased a 6v @ 60amps power supply. However, they are unsure how to correctly connect the power supply to their board and have provided a link to the operating manual. Another user suggests using a mains lead and connecting the wires to the appropriate terminals on the power supply. They also provide instructions for setting the voltage on the terminal blocks. The output voltage can be adjusted with an adjustment above the terminal strip.
ktz
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum and dreadfully new to electronics in general, but am doing my best to learn and I figured this may be a good place to start. (ps - this is not homework..I'm not a student of an electrical engineering, just an enthusiast trying to learn :)).

I'm trying to power a matrix of 64 servo motors through a board via a single power supply. I've got the board and calculated the power required as 6v @ 500mA x 64, so roughly 6v @ 32amps. I purchased a power supply online that will supply 6v @ 60amps (so plenty for the motors). The power supply in question is a Farnell G6-60A. It arrive as a single unit without cables, etc and a slightly confusing (to a rookie) front panel that I certainly don't want to hook up incorrectly. Can anyone help?

My guess would be to first buy a mains lead, clip the connector off, and screw the wires into the appropriate terminals (on the left in the photo). The manual states to then link the mains to the appropriate voltage on the 3-way terminal block on the right (which is 240V as I am in the UK). How would this be done? Just a single wire from the live block on the left to the 240V block on the right? After that, I'm a little confused on what to hook up to what to get power from the unit to my board @ 6V.

Sorry for the rookie questions, any help would be greatly appreciated!

The operating manual is here: http://3gcl.no-ip.org/3GCL/Datasheets/Electronics/SMPS/Farnell PSU/FARNELL. G6-60A. PSU. OPERATING GUIDE..pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
(that first link, to imageshack.us, is broken)

On the second three-way terminal strip: to select 240V mains power jumper the top two terminals together, the ones labeled 240V and 220V.

On the six-way terminal strip, jumper:
+S to +
-
to -S
IN1 to PROG

The Output is those two big studs with nuts on them labelled + and -.
You can adjust the output voltage with that adjustment just above the six-way terminal strip.

Cheers,
Tom

Related to Help with a power supply (farnell G6 60a)

1. What is a power supply and what does it do?

A power supply is an electronic device that converts AC power from a wall outlet into DC power that can be used to power electronic devices. It provides a steady and reliable source of power to ensure that electronic devices function properly.

2. How do I know if the Farnell G6 60a power supply is the right one for my needs?

The Farnell G6 60a power supply is designed to provide high current capacity and is suitable for powering a wide range of electronic devices. It is important to check the voltage and current requirements of your specific device to ensure that the power supply can provide enough power for its operation.

3. How do I connect and operate the Farnell G6 60a power supply?

The Farnell G6 60a power supply should be connected to a wall outlet using the appropriate power cable. The output voltage and current can be adjusted using the dials on the front panel. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for safe and proper operation.

4. Can I use the Farnell G6 60a power supply with multiple devices at the same time?

Yes, the Farnell G6 60a power supply has multiple output channels, allowing it to power multiple devices simultaneously. However, it is important to ensure that the total current drawn by all the devices does not exceed the maximum current capacity of the power supply.

5. Is it safe to use the Farnell G6 60a power supply for extended periods of time?

Yes, the Farnell G6 60a power supply is designed for continuous operation and can be used for extended periods of time without any issues. However, it is important to monitor the temperature and make sure that the power supply is not overheating. If it does, it is recommended to turn it off and let it cool down before using it again.