Help with 3rd year assignment on light

In summary, the person is in their final year of high school and is seeking help finding descriptive books about light for their physics and history paper. They mention needing to understand the physical phenomenons and ask for any good titles or authors to order from the library. Someone suggests starting with the Wikipedia entry for light and following related links. The person then mentions they are from Denmark and will be studying at the Niels Bohr institute, and asks for literature on the different conceptions of light throughout history.
Oblef
Hello all. I'm in my 3rd and final year in high school and the big 3rd year paper is coming up. I'm writing in physics (and history) and I have about light. The specific topic isn't decided yet and therefore I need some books to help me decide. This is were you come into the picture.

I need some good and very descriptive books concerning everything that has to do with light, electromagnetic waves/light waves, light as a particle, colours and why different things emit light, such as light bulbs and fluorescent light tubes.

Any of you got any good titles of authors for me to order from the library? It needs to be descriptive rather than mathematical, cause I need to understand the physical phenomenons. Thank you very much.

Hope you can help - yours sincerely Oblef :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Any body?

The wikipedia.org entry for light is a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light

Then follow some of the related links out of the article. That should get you started. If you have specific questions as you read along, feel free to ping us with them. Have fun!

BTW, only 3 years of high school? Did you just ace your classes to graduate a year early, or are you in a country where high school is routinely 3 years (it's 4 years here in the US)?

I come from Denmark. and there is 9 years of basic school + 1 year of kindergarten school. Then there are different kind of high school, the longest is called STX and is 3 years.

After I graduate I will study at the Niels Bohr institute in Copenhagen. You probably know Niels Bohr, this is his institute :)

Thank you, I'll ask questions if I run into trouble.

Alright, I've got a bit more focused now.

I'm writing about the different interpretations/conceptions/perceptions of light throughout time. Any body know any literature on this subject? The old Greeks, Indians, medieval alchemist or Newtonian or modern conceptions?

Related to Help with 3rd year assignment on light

1. What is light?

Light is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye. It is made up of tiny particles called photons that travel in waves at incredibly high speeds.

2. How does light interact with matter?

Light can interact with matter in three ways: reflection, refraction, and absorption. Reflection occurs when light bounces off a surface, while refraction occurs when light passes through a material and changes direction. Absorption happens when light is absorbed by the material it encounters.

3. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 670,616,629 miles per hour. This is the fastest speed at which anything in the universe can travel.

4. How does light produce color?

Color is produced by the different wavelengths of light. When white light passes through a prism, it separates into a spectrum of colors, each with a different wavelength. Different objects reflect or absorb different wavelengths of light, giving them their distinct colors.

5. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all types of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of radiation has a different wavelength and energy level.