Help using electromagnetic induction

In summary, the individual is attempting to create a generator using electromagnetic induction and is using a push pull system with a bar magnet to generate current. However, they are unsure of the necessary dimensions and are having trouble using the equation v = N × dΦ/dt. They are looking for a 7.86 volts AC current. The suggestion is to wave the end of the magnet in front of the coil instead of pushing it in and out to achieve a better dΦ/dt. The individual also asks about the best method for moving the coil and the configuration typically used for induction generators.
Will1818

Homework Statement

I am attempting to create a generator using electromagnetic induction. I am using a push pull system to move a bar magnet through a coil to create current. But I am unsure of the dimensions to build it with and when I attempt to use the equation I get stuck. I am looking for around 7.86 volts AC current.

Homework Equations

v = N × dΦ/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Will1818 said:

Homework Statement

I am attempting to create a generator using electromagnetic induction. I am using a push pull system to move a bar magnet through a coil to create current. But I am unsure of the dimensions to build it with and when I attempt to use the equation I get stuck. I am looking for around 7.86 volts AC current.

Homework Equations

v = N × dΦ/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

Welcome to the PF.

You will get a better dΦ/dt if you wave the end of the magnet back and forth in front of the coil, instead of pushing it in and out of the coil. Can you make that change?

Yes, what method of moving the coil would you suggest?

Will1818 said:
Yes, what method of moving the coil would you suggest?
What configuration do induction generators use? :smile:

Basically you have a copper coil and I just have to wave the magnet in front to create a change in magnetic flux.

Related to Help using electromagnetic induction

1. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by moving it through a magnetic field or by changing the magnetic field around it. This is achieved through Faraday's law of induction, which states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric current in a nearby conductor.

2. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is used in many everyday devices, such as generators, transformers, electric motors, and speakers. It is also used in power plants to generate electricity, in wireless charging technology, and in metal detectors.

3. How is electromagnetic induction different from static electricity?

Static electricity is the buildup of electric charges on the surface of a material, while electromagnetic induction involves the generation of an electric current through a moving magnetic field. Static electricity is often short-lived and has limited practical applications, while electromagnetic induction is a continuous process with many practical uses.

4. What are the factors that affect the strength of the induced current?

The strength of the induced current depends on several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed at which the conductor is moving through the field, and the angle between the direction of motion and the magnetic field. A larger, faster-moving conductor at a perpendicular angle to the magnetic field will produce a stronger induced current.

5. Can electromagnetic induction be used for wireless energy transfer?

Yes, electromagnetic induction is the principle behind wireless energy transfer technology. This involves using a primary coil to create a magnetic field, which induces a current in a secondary coil located nearby. This can be used to charge devices wirelessly, such as in the case of wireless charging pads for smartphones.