Help solving/proofing an Integral Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for help in showing that both sides of a given integral equation are equal. One person provides a solution using Ito's lemma and explains the steps taken to reach the solution. The other person expresses gratitude and plans to study the solution for better understanding.
cdbsmith
Need help showing that both sides of the following integral are equal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Q2 - Integral Proof.png
    Q2 - Integral Proof.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 51
Physics news on Phys.org
cdbsmith said:
Need help showing that both sides of the following integral are equal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Since the integral equation is given (and assuming $X_0 = 0$), it suffices to show

$\displaystyle d(X_t^4 - 6tX_t^2 + 3t^2) = (4X_t^3 - 12tX_t)\, dX_t$.

To do this, set $f(t, x) = x^4 - 6tx^2 + 3t^2$ and apply Ito's lemma to get

$\displaystyle df(t, X_t) = \left(f_t + \frac{f_{xx}}{2}\right) dt + f_x \, dX_t$,

$\displaystyle df(t, X_t) = \left(-6X_t^2 + 6t + \frac{12X_t^2 - 12t}{2}\right) dt + (4X_t^3 - 12tX_t)\, dX_t$,

$\displaystyle df(t, X_t) = (-6X_t^2 + 6t + 6X_t^2 - 6t)\, dt + (4X_t^3 - 12tX_t)\, dX_t$,

$\displaystyle df(t, X_t) = 0\, dt + (4X_t^3 - 12tX_t)\, dX_t$,

Euge said:
Since the integral equation is given (and assuming $X_0 = 0$), it suffices to show

To do this, set $f(t, x) = x^4 - 6tx^2 + 3t^2$ and apply Ito's lemma to get

$\displaystyle df(t, X_t) = \left(f_t + \frac{f_{xx}}{2}\right) dt + f_x \, dX_t$,

$\displaystyle df(t, X_t) = \left(-6X_t^2 + 6t + \frac{12X_t^2 - 12t}{2}\right) dt + (4X_t^3 - 12tX_t)\, dX_t$,

$\displaystyle df(t, X_t) = (-6X_t^2 + 6t + 6X_t^2 - 6t)\, dt + (4X_t^3 - 12tX_t)\, dX_t$,

$\displaystyle df(t, X_t) = 0\, dt + (4X_t^3 - 12tX_t)\, dX_t$,

Thanks, Euge!

I'm going to study your solution and try to understand it. I will let you know if I get stuck on something.

Thanks again!

Related to Help solving/proofing an Integral Equation

1. How do I solve an integral equation?

Solving an integral equation involves finding the unknown function or functions that satisfy the given equation. This can be done using various techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or using special formulas. It is important to first identify the type of integral equation and then choose the appropriate method to solve it.

2. Can I use numerical methods to solve integral equations?

Yes, numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule, Simpson's rule, or Gaussian quadrature can be used to approximate the solution of an integral equation. However, these methods may not always provide an exact solution and their accuracy depends on the choice of step size and number of intervals.

3. How do I know if my solution to an integral equation is correct?

To verify the correctness of a solution to an integral equation, you can substitute the solution into the equation and check if it satisfies the given equation. Additionally, you can also use the boundary conditions or initial conditions (if provided) to check the validity of the solution.

4. Can I use software to solve integral equations?

Yes, there are various software programs such as Mathematica, MATLAB, or Maple that have built-in functions for solving integral equations. These programs use algorithms and numerical methods to find the solution and can handle a wide range of integral equations.

5. Are there any real-life applications of integral equations?

Yes, integral equations have various applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. They are used to model and solve problems involving heat transfer, population dynamics, electromagnetic fields, and many other real-world scenarios. Integral equations also have applications in signal processing, image reconstruction, and data analysis.