Help Solving Astrophysics Textbook Question

In summary, the problem presented involves using equations for radiative diffusion and energy generation to derive the relationship between luminosity (L) and mass (M) as well as radius (R) and mass (M) of a star. However, the problem is underconstrained and an additional constraint, the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium, is needed. By using this equation and the ideal gas equation, it can be shown that T is proportional to M/R, leading to the desired relationship between L and M as well as R and M.
girlinphysics
I have a question in my astrophysics textbook that I need some help with.

Given [tex]\frac{dT}{dr}\propto\frac{\kappa\rho{L}}{r^2T^3}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dL}{dr}\propto{r^2}{\rho}\epsilon[/tex] show that [tex]L\propto {M^{5.4}}[/tex] and [tex]R\propto {M^{0.2}}[/tex] if [tex]\kappa\propto\rho{T^{-3.5}}[/tex] and [tex]\epsilon\propto\rho{T^{5}}[/tex].

Using the equation [tex]\frac{dT}{dr}\propto\frac{\kappa\rho{L}}{r^2T^3}[/tex] and substituting the value for [tex]\kappa[/tex] and also [tex]\rho\propto{\frac{M}{R^3}}[/tex] I got the answer [tex]L\propto {M^{5.5}R^{-0.5}}[/tex]

Then using [tex]\frac{dL}{dr}\propto{r^2}{\rho}\epsilon[/tex] and substituting [tex]\epsilon\propto\rho{T^{5}}[/tex] as well as [tex]\rho\propto{\frac{M}{R^3}}[/tex] and the result from above I got [tex]M^{2.5}\propto{R}[/tex]

Obviously I have done something wrong. I'm a little slow in tex but if you would like my full working in order to help me just let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem you give is underconstrained. After substituting for epsilon and rho, your first equation gives L as a function of R, M, and T, yet you express it as purely a function of R and M. What happened to T? Also, you are told a second way to express L as a function of R, M, and T, so by equating the two, all you get is one equation involving R, M, and T, which cannot be solved for R as a function of M alone. You are missing a constraint on T. To find it, think physically about what you have already asserted about the star, and what is missing.

The equations you give are the equation of radiative diffusion, and the equation of energy generation. What you are missing is the equation of hydrostatic equilibrium, which is dP/dr = -rho*g. That brings in the pressure P, which you have to get rid of using the ideal gas equation. You should see that T is proportional to M/R, and if you put that into what you have above, you should get the answer you want.

Related to Help Solving Astrophysics Textbook Question

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that studies the physical properties and processes of celestial objects and phenomena. It combines principles from physics and chemistry to understand the behavior and evolution of objects in space.

2. How can I solve a challenging astrophysics textbook question?

Solving astrophysics textbook questions requires a solid understanding of the fundamental principles and equations in astrophysics. It also helps to have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills. In addition, utilizing online resources, seeking help from a tutor or professor, and practicing regularly can greatly improve your ability to solve these questions.

3. What are some common techniques for solving astrophysics textbook questions?

Some common techniques for solving astrophysics textbook questions include using dimensional analysis, applying conservation laws, and solving equations simultaneously. It is also important to carefully read the question and identify the key information and variables given.

4. How can I check if my solution to an astrophysics textbook question is correct?

One way to check the accuracy of your solution is to plug your values back into the original equations and see if they balance out. Another option is to compare your solution to a known answer or to consult with a professor or tutor for feedback.

5. What are some tips for understanding and retaining information from astrophysics textbooks?

To better understand and retain information from astrophysics textbooks, it is helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces. Taking notes, creating study guides, and practicing problems regularly can also aid in retention. Additionally, visual aids and online resources such as videos and simulations can offer alternative ways of understanding difficult material.