Help Settle Dad Dispute: Boo's vs. Yay's?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary: Haha, no, not at twelve. That is when I got my first full-blown dirt bike.But by the time I was 16, most of my friends were in their twenties and I had started drinking.I hit one of those roads in 5th gear and at full throttle, which was probably about 80 mph with a climbing sprocket. I flew off the top of the first whoop-de-doo, over the next, and landed perfectly positions on the backside of the third to launch off the fourth and do it again. And these were huge whoop-de-dos with a wavelength of perhaps over 50 feet. Holy crap, son! I'm glad you survived that. A dirtbike

Which tracks better dad joke-wise?

• Neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • First

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Help me settle a disagreement between dads. Which tracks better?

1. Why is it called Boo's?
    Shouldn't it be called Yay's?
  2. Why is it called Booze?
    Shouldn't it be called Yayze?

1688772024604.png

Follow-up questions:
Is it funnier with our without the pic?
Does it change which option is better?

Physics news on Phys.org
The receiver of the joke needs to make the connection to "Boo" versus "Yay." Number 1 just doesn't work. I think the picture makes 2 more funny.

Number 1 can't be saved, picture or no picture.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters and BillTre
What about

3 Why is it called Booze

Still a dad joke.........

Likes BillTre
I quit drinking on my 21st birthday. It was all booze to me! But that was a blood-sugar issue. :)

That said, I don't think I've ever been as sick (poisoned, actually) as after a night of hard drinking.

DaveC426913 said:
Help me settle a disagreement between dads. Which tracks better?

1. Why is it called Boo's?
  2. Why is it called Booze?
    Shouldn't it be called Yayze?

View attachment 328964

Follow-up questions:
Is it funnier with our without the pic?
Does it change which option is better?
They are both pretty awful, therefore both satisfy at least one criteria of being a dad joke.
Two works better for me and is less awful than the first.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters
In the UK we don't say "yay", so, for us, better versions would be:
  • Why is it called booze? Shouldn't it be called hurrayze?
  • Why is it called booze? Shouldn't it be called cheers?

Likes pinball1970
DrGreg said:
  • Why is it called booze? Shouldn't it be called hurrayze?
That actually works pretty well if not better.

Ivan Seeking said:
That said, I don't think I've ever been as sick (poisoned, actually) as after a night of hard drinking.
True, that could take the joke in a different direction.

The boos don't hit until the next morning

or some such

DaveC426913 said:
True, that could take the joke in a different direction.

The boos don't hit until the next morning

or some such
Back when I still drank I did a lot of dirt biking; and especially desert riding and hill climbing. We were riding out by El Mirage lakebed on extremely remote gravel roads that went on for miles and miles and miles. Often the roads had huge whoop-de-doos from washouts, like moguls in skiing but highly uniform and only in one axis.

One day it was exceedingly hot [probably around 120 F) and we had been drinking a lot, which made me pretty fearless. I hit one of those roads in 5th gear and at full throttle, which was probably about 80 mph with a climbing sprocket. I flew off the top of the first whoop-de-doo, over the next, and landed perfectly positions on the backside of the third to launch off off the fourth and do it again. And these were huge whoop-de-doos with a wavelength of perhaps over 50 feet. Man, I was flying and left my buddies in the dust; who all had faster bikes and were better riders.

I was "the kid" in the group. I don't remember how many jumps I made but it was a lot! I rode on and off road for years starting at about age 12, but those were the single best few minutes I ever had a motorcycle. It was like a dream - the perfect ride! If not for the booze it never would have happened. I wouldn't have been stupid enough to try it! I was very lucky I didn't get seriously hurt or even killed. But it was a once-in-a-lifetime deal and I still get a rush when I think about it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Likes Tom.G, Wrichik Basu and berkeman
You were that heavy a drinker when you were 12?? No wonder you hadda quit! :oops:

DaveC426913 said:
You were that heavy a drinker when you were 12?? No wonder you hadda quit! :oops:
Haha, no, not at twelve. That is when I got my first full-blown dirt bike.

But by the time I was 16, most of my friends were in their twenties and I had started drinking.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
I hit one of those roads in 5th gear and at full throttle, which was probably about 80 mph with a climbing sprocket. I flew off the top of the first whoop-de-doo, over the next, and landed perfectly positions on the backside of the third to launch off off the fourth and do it again. And these were huge whoop-de-doos with a wavelength of perhaps over 50 feet.
Holy crap, son! I'm glad you survived that. A dirtbike crash at 80mph in the desert would have been very bad.

Likes Ivan Seeking
berkeman said:
Holy crap, son! I'm glad you survived that. A dirtbike crash at 80mph in the desert would have been very bad.
I was verwwwwy lucky! In fact I got hurt pretty much every time we went out. By the end of weekend I always started getting too brave. But going down at full throttle in 5th gear in rocks and gravel would have been really bad.

I still have the scars on my shins, knees, and elbows. LOL! But the one I remember most was the 2-inch cactus spike that went all the way into the soft part of my ankle at full speed. OMG I was dying!!! And it was too deep to reach.

One more key memory here.... Crazy like a fox:

Indeed I almost always took a fall and got injured, or blew up my engine before the weekend was over. I was between 15 and 21 years old then. When I got hurt, I had a few to a half dozen women in their early 20s, usually in bikinis, taking care of me and serving me drinks. :oldbiggrin: Oh the pain! The pain!!!

• Love
Likes berkeman
Ivan Seeking said:
When I got hurt, I had a few to a half dozen women in their early 20s, usually in bikinis, taking care of me and serving me drinks
In the El Mirage Emergency Department? I need to ride in that desert more often... :wink:

berkeman said:
In the El Mirage Emergency Department? I need to ride in that desert more often... :wink:

LOL! The GFs, a sister, and friends of the GFs of the other guys. For a few years we had quite the gathering. We mainly rode at El Mirage and north of Los Angeles, around Gorman [killer hill climbing].

El Mirage was really remote back then. I think the only place for 20 miles in any direction was a bar. If you could reach the bar you could drink.

El Mirage. There have been land speed records set there - esp if I'd been drinking! :)

1689040403120.png

1689040216394.png

1689040442972.png

1689040597244.png