Help required with chemical formula and spectrophotometry

In summary, the person is asking for help in determining the charge on a known dopant in a crystal structure. They have studied chemistry but cannot remember the methodology. They also mention measuring the transmission for a specific range and question if the dopant could be causing unusual spikes. Through a Google search, it is determined that the charge on the dopant is 3+ and this information was obtained through EPR. The person thanks the responder for their help.
spekky_bandit
Hi guys,

I have what I hope is a simple question. basically I have a known crystal structure with a known dopant, however I don't know what the charge on the dopant is and I can't find it in any papers. Now I'm not sure if this is something I just need to find or whether this is something I can determine from analysis (I did study chmistry to the highest secondary level but I can't actually remember much of the methodology). Anyway I would appreciate if someone could tell me the charges and explain how they were oobtained for the equation below (if possible):

Lu2SiO5:Ce where Ce is the dopant

Additionally, this material is a scintillator and I have measure the transmission for the 200-1000nm range. In the UV region there are a couple of transmission spikes that I would not expect for a scintillator. Could this be due to the Ce dopant?

Thanks in advance.

Jamie

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Thanks for that DrDu. for some reason I never thought to actually search for the formula and instead used the common name LYSO. Just goes to show how easily you can overlook the obvious.

Related to Help required with chemical formula and spectrophotometry

1. What is a chemical formula?

A chemical formula is a symbolic representation of the elements present in a compound and the ratio of their atoms. It shows the number of atoms of each element in a molecule, and can also indicate the structural arrangement of atoms.

2. How is a chemical formula determined?

A chemical formula is determined by analyzing the elements present in a compound and the ratio of their atoms. This can be done through experiments and techniques such as mass spectrometry and elemental analysis.

3. What is spectrophotometry?

Spectrophotometry is a technique used to measure the amount of light absorbed or transmitted by a substance in a specific wavelength range. It is commonly used in chemistry to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution.

4. How does spectrophotometry relate to chemical formulas?

Spectrophotometry can be used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution, which can then be used to calculate the molar ratio of the elements present in a compound. This information can then be used to determine the chemical formula of the compound.

5. What are some common applications of spectrophotometry in chemistry?

Spectrophotometry is commonly used in chemistry for quantitative analysis, such as determining the concentration of a substance in a solution. It is also used for qualitative analysis, such as identifying the presence of certain compounds in a mixture. Additionally, it is used in research and development for studying the absorption spectra of different substances.