What Force Acts on a Marble at Point Q in a Loop-the-Loop?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a solid marble rolling along a loop-the-loop track without slipping. The first question asks for the minimum height above the bottom of the track that the marble must be released from in order to stay on the track at the top of the loop. The answer is 3.24 meters, but there is a detail involving the radius of the marble that may change the answer slightly. The second question asks for the horizontal component of the force acting on the marble at a specific point on the track. The solution involves using the conservation of energy and taking into account the height of the ball above the ground and the radius of the ball. The correct answer is close to 3.34 meters, but may vary
slk011
Help please -- marble rolling around loop-the-loop

A solid marble of mass m = 15 kg and radius r = 8 cm will roll without slipping along the loop-the-loop track shown in the figure if it is released from rest somewhere on the straight section of track. The radius of the loop-the-loop is R = 1.20 m.

1- (which i got) From what minimum height h above the bottom of the track must the marble be released to ensure that it does not leave the track at the top of the loop?
3.24 m

2- If the marble is released from height 6R above the bottom of the track, what is the horizontal component of the force acting on it at point Q?

SOOO lost in this one!

Diagram http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_11-32.gif

Physics news on Phys.org

Maybe you can show how you get the answer to the first question.

Well, when this marble circulates, you would suspect that a normal force and a centripetal force as well as weight would exist to keep the marble in circular motion, however, at that Q point, only centripetal force and normal force exists in the x direction.

Last edited:

Rayquesto said:
Well, when this marble circulates, you would suspect that a normal force and a centripetal force would exist to keep the marble in circular motion, however, at that Q point, only centripetal force exists. Therefore, Q does not exert a force on the marble, because no normal force exists. What do you think?

I don't think so. The normal force IS what is providing the centripetal force, and it is what is contributing to the horizontal component.

Use the expression for circular motion to solve for this component, don't forget to include the effect of gravity.

Hm... I see what you are saying. The only reason why I brought up the idea was because I thought of weight; It only has a y component. Thanks!

slk011 said:
A solid marble of mass m = 15 kg and radius r = 8 cm will roll without slipping along the loop-the-loop track shown in the figure if it is released from rest somewhere on the straight section of track. The radius of the loop-the-loop is R = 1.20 m. 1- (which i got) From what minimum height h above the bottom of the track must the marble be released to ensure that it does not leave the track at the top of the loop?
3.24 m
You answer is close, but not quite right. You handled the translational and rotational kinetic energy concepts fine, but there is a detail you must have left out. Let me give you some hints:

When the ball is at the top of the loop, is its center of mass at a height of 2R, or is it less than that? (Remember, the ball has its own radius of r.)

When the ball is circling in the loop, is the ball circling with a radius (according to the ball's center of mass) of R, or a little less than that? (Once again remember, the ball has its own radius of r.)

[Edit: this detail will have a small, yet significant impact on the final answer.]

2- If the marble is released from height 6R above the bottom of the track, what is the horizontal component of the force acting on it at point Q?
Use conservation of energy like you did in the first part. However this time, instead of solving for h, you need to solve for the ball's linear speed, v, at point Q. Then find the centripetal force.

Collinsmark was my 3.24m. Is what you are referring as not right?
Would v=sqroot g(R-r). Be the right track?

slk011 said:
Collinsmark was my 3.24m. Is what you are referring as not right?
Would v=sqroot g(R-r). Be the right track?
Yes. :approve: In terms of the radius of curvature of the ball orbiting on the loop, the centripetal acceleration's magnitude is
[tex] a = \frac{v^2}{R-r}. [/tex]
(Substitute g for a if you want the minimum speed that keeps the ball from leaving the track at the top of the loop.)

But that's not all. You must also consider the height of the ball above the ground when it is at the top of the loop. And that height is dependent, in part, upon the ball's radius [Edit: this is only necessary for Part 1 of the problem]. This is part of the equation which represents the difference in gravitational potential energy.

Taking the radius of the ball into account won't change your final answer by a whole lot, but it will change it by a non-negligible amount. It's significant enough to take into consideration.

Last edited:

It said 3.34 was right tho.. :(. I still don't understand how to get part B

slk011 said:
It said 3.34 was right tho.. :(.
If R is measured from the center of the loop-the-loop to the edge of the track, 3.24 meters is close, but not quite right (I assume that "3.34" is a typo, and you meant 3.24. [STRIKE]3.34 meters isn't correct either)[/STRIKE].

[Edit: I take that back, 3.34 meters is very close. I just want to make sure you know where the ~3.34 meters comes from, and why it's not 3.24 meters when you consider the ball's radius. In the original post, you had calculated 3.24 meters.]

On the other hand, if R is the distance from the center of the loop-the-loop to the center of the ball, then 3.24 meters is correct for part 1. But that's not the way that I interpreted the problem statement, but maybe that's what you were supposed to assume anyway (could have been a poorly constructed problem statement or problem).
I still don't understand how to get part B
Use essentially the same approach as you did before: Conservation of energy. What is the gravitational potential energy difference from when the ball is at height 6R compared to when the [center of the] ball is at the height of Q? This gets converted to the ball's kinetic energy (some of that energy is rotational, some of it translational, but you already know the relationship between these, because you needed to figure that out for part 1). Solve for the ball's linear velocity (speed). Calculate the centripetal force.

Last edited:

In case you didn't see my edit, I just wanted to point out an edit I made to my last post. 3.34 m is actually quite close to the exact result, when considering the ball's radius. It's correct to within three significant figures anyway. But it's not the same as the 3.24 m figure given in the original post, is my point.

1. How does gravity affect the marble's motion in a loop-the-loop?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards each other. In the case of a marble rolling around a loop-the-loop, gravity is what keeps the marble moving in a circular path. It also provides the downward force that allows the marble to maintain contact with the track as it moves through the loop.

2. What role does kinetic energy play in the marble's motion?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In the case of a marble rolling around a loop-the-loop, kinetic energy is what keeps the marble moving through the loop and overcoming the force of gravity. As the marble moves down the track, its potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. This kinetic energy is what allows the marble to complete the loop without falling off the track.

3. Why does the marble not fall out of the loop-the-loop when it reaches the top?

The marble does not fall out of the loop-the-loop because of the combination of centrifugal force and inertia. As the marble moves through the loop, it experiences a centrifugal force that acts outward, pushing it into the track. At the same time, the marble's inertia, or resistance to change in motion, keeps it moving forward and prevents it from flying off the track at the top of the loop.

4. How does the size and shape of the loop affect the marble's motion?

The size and shape of the loop can greatly impact the marble's motion. A larger loop will require the marble to have more kinetic energy in order to complete the loop without falling off the track. A smaller loop, on the other hand, may not provide enough centrifugal force to keep the marble in place. The shape of the loop also plays a role, as a flatter loop may not provide enough upward force to keep the marble moving through the loop.

5. What factors can cause the marble to fail to complete the loop?

The marble may fail to complete the loop if it does not have enough kinetic energy to overcome the force of gravity or if there is not enough friction between the marble and the track to keep it in place. Additionally, if the loop is too small or not properly shaped, the marble may not have enough upward force to keep it moving through the loop. Other factors such as air resistance or imperfections in the track can also affect the marble's motion and cause it to fail to complete the loop.