Help Plane motions rolling wheel

In summary, the question is about determining the angular velocity of BC and CD of a rolling cylinder with a given velocity. The person is using the formula Vb= Vc/b + Vc and is having difficulty getting the correct answer due to incorrect angles in the triangle. They are seeking help for a midterm preparation.
desistyle19
Help! Plane motions rolling wheel

Hi there, I am not having any luck with this question at all and am hoping that there is someone out there that can help me out... here goes:

The below cyclinder rolls to the right at 10 in/sec. Determine the angular velocity of BC and CD

I am actually trying to prepare for a midterm and am not getting anywhere close to the answers that I am supposed to get.

I am using the following formulas: Vb= Vc/b + Vc
I know for the radius of Vb that would be 12" + 6"/2 = 9"

the biggest challenge for me I guess is when drawing the triangle, I am not getting the right angles, therefore, my answer is not correct.

Attachments

• physics.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where is D in the figure? I get 1 rev/sec for BC.

Hello,

I understand that you are having trouble solving this problem and are looking for some assistance. Let me try to break down the problem for you.

First, we need to define the variables in the problem. Let's say that the cylinder has a radius of R and is rolling to the right at a velocity of Vb = 10 in/sec. The point of contact between the cylinder and the ground is at point C.

Now, we can use the formula Vb = Vc/b + Vc to solve for the angular velocity of BC and CD. Here, Vc/b represents the linear velocity of point C and Vc represents the linear velocity of the center of the cylinder.

To find Vc/b, we can use the formula Vc/b = ω × r, where ω is the angular velocity and r is the distance between point C and the center of the cylinder. In this case, r is equal to R/2 since the distance from the center to the point of contact is half the radius.

Now, we can plug in the values we have and solve for ω. We get Vc/b = ω × R/2, or ω = 2Vc/R.

To find Vc, we can use the formula Vc = Vb - Vc/b. Substituting in the values we have, we get Vc = 10 in/sec - 2Vc/R. Solving for Vc, we get Vc = 10R/3 in/sec.

Finally, we can use the formula Vc = ω × R to solve for the angular velocity of CD. Substituting in the values we have, we get 10R/3 in/sec = ω × R. Solving for ω, we get ω = 10/3 rad/sec.

I hope this helps you solve the problem and prepare for your midterm. Remember to double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy. Good luck!

Related to Help Plane motions rolling wheel

1. What is a rolling wheel?

A rolling wheel is a circular object that rotates on an axis and moves in a straight line. It is typically made of a solid material, such as rubber or metal, and is used for transportation or other mechanical purposes.

2. How does a rolling wheel help with plane motions?

A rolling wheel helps with plane motions by reducing friction and providing a smooth surface for movement. It allows the plane to roll along the ground or runway, which helps with takeoff and landing.

3. What is the principle behind a rolling wheel?

The principle behind a rolling wheel is based on the conservation of angular momentum. As the wheel rolls, the angular momentum is conserved, allowing it to maintain its motion and direction.

4. What factors affect the rolling motion of a wheel?

The factors that affect the rolling motion of a wheel include the weight and distribution of the load on the wheel, the surface it is rolling on, and the shape and size of the wheel itself.

5. How does friction impact the rolling motion of a wheel?

Friction can impact the rolling motion of a wheel by slowing it down or causing it to stop altogether. However, friction can also be beneficial by providing traction and preventing the wheel from slipping on a surface.