Help: Physics Homework Problem

In summary: And the sine of that angle will give you the y component. Use pythagoras theorem to find the magnitude of the vector.
shawonna23
One afternoon, a couple walks five-eights of the way around a circular lake, the radius of which is 1.35km. They start at the west side of the lake and head due south to begin with.

a) What is the distance they travel?

b) What are the magnitude and direction (relative to due east) of the couple's displacement?

Physics news on Phys.org
Somebody move this to the homework help zone...

I won't give you the answers, but I'll still give you some hints:

For (a), you have to calculate 5/8 of the circumference of the circular lake. The circumference length of any circle is 2*(pi)*(radius).
For (b), you have to draw a triangle inscribed in a circle, by joining the starting point, ending point and the centre of the circle. Then, you find out the angles and calculate the length of the line from the starting point to the ending point.

I hope that helped.

a) The distance is just 5/8 times the circumference, the formula for which will be in your book or easily found on the internet.

b) This is just a vector from where they started to where they ended up. Draw it out first as a circle centered at the origin, you know the distance from where they started to the origin is the same as the distance from the end to the origin, use pythagorum theorum to find the magnitude (length) of the vector. You can easily find the angle to find the direction.

edit: er, yeah what he said :biggrin:

I understand how to do part a, but I'm still having trouble understanding how to do part b. Can you show me how to do this in steps? Thanks!

shawonna23 said:
One afternoon, a couple walks five-eights of the way around a circular lake, the radius of which is 1.35km. They start at the west side of the lake and head due south to begin with.

a) What is the distance they travel?

b) What are the magnitude and direction (relative to due east) of the couple's displacement?

for part b: this is a little tricky, but you'll start to understand how to solve questions like these later on, once you have enough practice.

For convenience i'll use this formula to solve this question.
theta*radius = distance around a circle
theta= (5/8)*2pi

theta - pi= the angle between the vector and the x axis(in radians)

convert to degrees by (angle*180/pi)

You might want to draw the diagram out to help you understand. Now that you know theta, it's all simple trig from here on...

Related to Help: Physics Homework Problem

1. What is the first step in solving a physics homework problem?

The first step in solving a physics homework problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. This includes identifying the known and unknown variables, as well as any given equations or formulas that may be relevant.

2. How do I know which equation to use in a physics problem?

To determine which equation to use in a physics problem, you must first identify the known and unknown variables. Then, choose an equation that contains the known variables and the one unknown variable you are trying to solve for. It may also be helpful to rearrange the equation to isolate the variable you are solving for.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a physics problem?

If you get stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and review the problem and your approach. Make sure you have correctly identified the known and unknown variables and that you are using the appropriate equations. If you are still having trouble, try breaking the problem down into smaller parts or seeking guidance from a classmate or teacher.

4. How do I check my answer for a physics homework problem?

The best way to check your answer for a physics homework problem is to plug it back into the original equation and see if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use dimensional analysis to make sure your units are consistent and correct.

5. Can I use a calculator for my physics homework?

Yes, you can use a calculator for your physics homework. However, make sure you are using the correct units and following the appropriate rules for significant figures. Also, keep in mind that a calculator is just a tool and it is important to understand the concepts and equations being used in your calculations.