Help on this zero-volt triggered(switched) circuit

• Thread starter soidal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, a novice in electronics is seeking help in creating a circuit that will reverse output polarity whenever the input voltage reaches 0v. The input voltage will fluctuate between +50v(peak) and 0v and the reversal should occur continuously, alternating between positive-negative and negative-positive. The circuit should be able to handle a maximum wattage of 400w and the user is seeking advice on what simple IC, circuit, relay, triac, or other device can be used for this purpose. The user is also requesting assistance in building an inexpensive and reliable circuit.
soidal
Hello,

This is my first post. I am a novice in electronics and would appreciate your expert help.

I am trying to make a circuit that reverses output polarity whenever 0v from the input side is encountered.

The input voltage, which will drive the output device but also acts as a trigger voltage, will be a positive DC and this DC voltage will flutuate in between +50v(peak) and 0v. And my goal is to have this fluctuating DC voltage to "trigger" the reversal of polarity to the output device.

This reversal should occur whenever the input voltage falls down to zero (or very near zero) and the reversal will be continuosly alternating i.e. if the current output polarity is positive-negative then the next time 0v is encountered, will become negative-positive and the next time, positive-negative and the next time negative-positive and so on. And snubber circuit may not be necessary since the voltage at the time of polarity reversal will be zero(or near zero).

What simple IC or circuit or relay or triac or other devices this novice is ignorant of will do this? (The max wattage this circuit should handle is about 400w. RMS will be about 200w)

I would so much appreciate if you could help me building this inexpensive but reliable circuit.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Perhaps you could tell up just what your power supply is, what you are trying to run with it and just what it is that this circuit is supposed to do.

Depending on just what it is that you are trying to accomplish, you might be able to use a Schmitt trigger IC, an Op-amp or a transistor for zero detection.

I have no idea where you going with the positive-negative/negative-positive thing.

In general we won't design a circuit for you, but we may be able to tell you something about what you need to know to do what you want.

Last edited:

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your circuit. It sounds like you are trying to create a zero-volt triggered or switched circuit that will reverse the output polarity whenever 0v is encountered on the input side. This can be achieved using a few different components and techniques.

One option is to use a comparator IC, such as the LM339, which can compare the input voltage to a reference voltage and provide a digital output based on that comparison. You can set the reference voltage to 0v and use the output of the comparator to trigger a relay or transistor circuit that will reverse the polarity of the output device. This method may require some additional circuitry to handle the switching of higher wattages, so be sure to research and understand the components you will be using.

Another option is to use a microcontroller, such as an Arduino, to monitor the input voltage and trigger the polarity reversal. This would allow for more flexibility and control over the circuit, but may also require more programming knowledge and additional components.

In terms of handling 400w, you may need to use a relay or triac to switch the high power load. Be sure to choose components that can handle the voltage and current requirements of your circuit.

I hope this helps get you started in the right direction. Good luck with your project!

Related to Help on this zero-volt triggered(switched) circuit

1. How does a zero-volt triggered circuit work?

A zero-volt triggered circuit is a type of electronic circuit that is activated by a change in voltage at its input. When the voltage at the input reaches zero, the circuit is triggered and begins to function. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices to control the flow of electricity.

2. What are the advantages of using a zero-volt triggered circuit?

One of the main advantages of a zero-volt triggered circuit is its sensitivity to small changes in voltage. This makes it useful for detecting and responding to very subtle changes in the environment. Additionally, this type of circuit is relatively simple and inexpensive to design and implement.

3. Can a zero-volt triggered circuit be used for safety purposes?

Yes, a zero-volt triggered circuit can be used for safety purposes. For example, it can be used to detect when a device is turned off or unplugged, triggering a safety mechanism to prevent accidents or damage. It can also be used to detect and respond to changes in temperature or pressure that could indicate a potential danger.

4. Are there any limitations to using a zero-volt triggered circuit?

One limitation of a zero-volt triggered circuit is that it may be susceptible to false triggers. This means that it may be activated by minor fluctuations in voltage that are not relevant to its intended function. To minimize this issue, proper calibration and shielding may be necessary.

5. How can I design and build my own zero-volt triggered circuit?

Designing and building a zero-volt triggered circuit requires a basic understanding of electronic components and circuit design principles. There are many resources available online and in books that can guide you through the process. It is also important to test and troubleshoot your circuit to ensure it is functioning properly before using it in any applications.