Help on Ballistic Pendulum Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the height and angle of a block after being hit by a bullet. The correct answer for the height is 6.56E-02 m and the angle is 29.68 degrees, which can be found using a free-body diagram and trigonometry.
Naldo6

Homework Statement

A bullet (m = 0.029kg) is fired with a speed of 95.00m/s and hits a block (M = 2.40kg) supported by two light strings , stopping quickly. Find the height to which the block rises.

The correct answer is 6.56E-02 m

BUt the next question is:

Find the angle (in degrees) through which the block rises, if the strings are 0.50 m in length.

i don't know how i get that angle... could anyone help please?...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think if you draw a free-body diagram and break each string into x and y components. you could use trig.

Sorry, don't know now exactly if this helps, but maybe it will.

nop... it doesn't function because the trangle formed isnot a rectangle one...

anyone know how to find that angle?...

yes i got it...

L - L cos(angle)= h

then we get:
angle = inverse cos ((L - h)/L )

for this exersice the correct answer is 29.68

Related to Help on Ballistic Pendulum Angle

1. What is a ballistic pendulum angle?

A ballistic pendulum angle is the angle at which a pendulum is released in order to accurately measure the velocity of a projectile.

2. How is the ballistic pendulum angle calculated?

The ballistic pendulum angle is calculated using the equation θ = arccos((1 - m/M)^(1/2)), where θ is the angle, m is the mass of the projectile, and M is the mass of the pendulum.

3. Why is the ballistic pendulum angle important in experiments?

The ballistic pendulum angle is important because it allows for the accurate measurement of a projectile's velocity, which is crucial in experiments involving projectiles and their motion.

4. How does the angle affect the results of a ballistic pendulum experiment?

The angle directly affects the height and distance at which the projectile strikes the pendulum, which in turn affects the calculated velocity and other data collected in the experiment.

5. Are there any alternative methods for measuring projectile velocity besides using a ballistic pendulum angle?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as using a chronograph or high-speed camera to measure the velocity of a projectile. However, the ballistic pendulum method is often preferred for its simplicity and accuracy.