Help Mini-Solar Updraft Tower

• Thread starter MightyJayJay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tower
In summary, the person needs to design and build a mini solar updraft tower with a 500W lamp placed 1ft from the ground and 1ft from the chimney at a 45 deg angle. They are seeking advice on materials to use, whether the collector area should be 360deg around the chimney, and how to determine the diameter and height of the chimney. They are also considering using a clear plastic for the collector area and using wood with a reflective surface for the baseplate. They mention the idea of using a solar chimney and focusing the light source with a reflector. They also suggest modeling the tower as a vertical pipe with internal heat generation and calculating air velocity and mass flow rates. Additionally, they mention the possibility
MightyJayJay
Help! Mini-Solar Updraft Tower

I need to design and build a "miniature" solar updraft tower and generate the maximum power possible. The only constraints are that there will be a 500W lamp placed 1ft from the ground and 1ft from the chimney oriented at a 45 deg angle. My question is basically about what materials should be used and if the collector area should be 360deg around the chimney or just a section because the light source is fixed? All this while minimizing COSTS.

For the collector area I'm thinking of using a clear plastic so that light can come in without problems to create a greenhouse effect. For the baseplate I think I will use wood with a reflective surface like aluminum foil on top so that it does not absorb too much energy, because I'm not looking for a capacitance effect. For the chimney I'm still looking for accessible materials with low surface roughness. Should the chimney be a thermal conductor or an insulator?? And what method can I use to determine the diameter and height of it. I think I should balance the losses due to pipe friction while maximizing the pressure difference but how can I if I have no idea of the velocity of the air inside the chimney? (Should I just assume certain values?)

Any ideas and comments are welcome, THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org

Do a Google search on "Solar Chimney" this idea was used to passively cool greenhouses. the physics is very similar to chimney design for wood stoves, boilers etc. Only the side facing the solar source is glazed, the inside is smooth and painted black. You may want to focus the light source on the collector with some sort of a reflector. The energy from the light source heats the air causing a density difference. You might be able to model this as a vertical pipe with internal heat generation equal to the amount of energy captured by the collector. You should be able to calculate the air velocity and mass flow rates. You may also want to place a fin on the pipe to maximize the heat collection surface.

Related to Help Mini-Solar Updraft Tower

1. What is a Mini-Solar Updraft Tower?

A Mini-Solar Updraft Tower is a renewable energy technology that uses solar power to generate electricity. It consists of a tall tower with a large greenhouse at the base. The greenhouse traps the sun's heat, causing air to rise up the tower. The air then turns turbines at the base of the tower, generating electricity.

2. How does a Mini-Solar Updraft Tower work?

The tower works by using the sun's heat to create a temperature difference between the bottom and top of the tower. This temperature difference causes air to rise up the tower, turning turbines at the base. The turbines then generate electricity, which can be used to power homes and businesses.

3. What are the benefits of a Mini-Solar Updraft Tower?

There are several benefits to using a Mini-Solar Updraft Tower. It is a renewable source of energy, meaning it does not deplete natural resources. It also does not produce harmful emissions, making it a clean energy source. Additionally, it can be built in remote areas, providing electricity to communities that may not have access to traditional power grids.

4. Are there any challenges or limitations to using a Mini-Solar Updraft Tower?

One challenge is that the tower requires a large amount of land and resources to build. It also has a lower energy output compared to other renewable energy technologies, such as wind or solar panels. Additionally, the tower may not be suitable for all climates, as it requires a significant temperature difference between the base and top of the tower to function properly.

5. Are there any current or future applications for Mini-Solar Updraft Towers?

Currently, Mini-Solar Updraft Towers are being used to generate electricity for small communities and remote areas. However, there is potential for larger scale applications in the future. Researchers are exploring ways to optimize the design and increase the energy output of the towers, making them a more viable option for widespread use in the future.