HELP Melting Iceberg: Latent heat of fusion

In summary, the conversation discusses the hazards of icebergs in the North Atlantic and various attempts to destroy them. It then poses a question about the amount of heat required to melt 15% of a 3.90×10^5 metric-ton iceberg, assuming it is at 0°C. After converting the mass to 3.8 E8 kg, the correct answer is found to be 1.954 E13 J.
delecticious
URGENT HELP! Melting Iceberg: Latent heat of fusion

Homework Statement

Icebergs in the North Atlantic present hazards to shipping, causing the length of shipping routes to increase by about 30 percent during the iceberg season. Attempts to destroy icebergs include planting explosives, bombing, torpedoing, shelling, ramming, and painting with lampblack. Suppose that direct melting of the iceberg, by placing heat sources in the ice, is tried. How much heat is required to melt 15 percent of a 3.90×10^5 metric-ton iceberg? One metric ton is equal to 10^3 kg. Assume that the iceberg is at 0°C. (Note: To appreciate the magnitude of this energy, compare your answer to the Hiroshima atomic bomb which had an energy equivalent to about 15,000 tons of TNT, representing an energy of about 6.0×10^13 J.)

Homework Equations

Q = mLf

The Attempt at a Solution

first I converted 3.90 x10^5 metric tons to 3.90 x 10^9 kg since one metric tons is equal to 10^3 kg. Then I multiplied the 3.90 x 10^9 kg times .15 to get 15% of the iceberg mass and got 5.85 x 10^8 kg. Lastly I multiplied 5.85 x 10^8 times the latent heat of fusion of water (334000 J/kg) and got 1.95 x 10^14 J but that's incorrect. I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right but I'm not getting the right answer can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
3.90 x10^5 metric tons to 3.90 x 10^9 kg
should be 3.8 E8 kg, and .15 of that is 5.85 E7 kg

1 MT = 1000 kg.

the 334 kJ/kg is correct.

One should be getting 1.954 E13 J.

thanks a bunch!

Related to HELP Melting Iceberg: Latent heat of fusion

What is the latent heat of fusion?

The latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid state without changing its temperature. In the case of melting icebergs, it is the amount of heat needed to melt the ice and turn it into water.

Why is the latent heat of fusion important for melting icebergs?

The latent heat of fusion is important because it is the main factor that controls the rate at which icebergs melt. As the ice absorbs heat from the surrounding environment, it will reach its melting point and start to melt. However, it will not continue to increase in temperature until all of the ice has melted. Instead, the heat will be used to break the bonds between the molecules, causing the ice to melt and turn into water.

How does the latent heat of fusion differ from the latent heat of vaporization?

The latent heat of fusion and the latent heat of vaporization are both measures of the energy required to change the state of a substance. However, the latent heat of fusion is the energy required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid state, while the latent heat of vaporization is the energy required to change a substance from a liquid to a gas state.

What factors can affect the latent heat of fusion for melting icebergs?

The latent heat of fusion for melting icebergs can be affected by various factors, including the temperature of the environment, the size and shape of the iceberg, and the salinity of the water surrounding the iceberg. These factors can impact the rate at which heat is transferred to the iceberg and the rate at which the ice melts.

Is the latent heat of fusion the same for all substances?

No, the latent heat of fusion can vary depending on the substance. Different substances have different molecular structures and therefore require different amounts of energy to change states. For example, water has a higher latent heat of fusion compared to other substances, which is why it takes longer for ice to melt compared to other solids.