Help me complete my knowledge

In summary, Donaldson is looking for resources to help him refresh his basic math skills so he can better understand complex topics like string theory. A recommended book is "The Road to Reality" by Roger Penrose, which covers modern math and concepts in physics in a way that is approachable for a non-PhD audience. The author is a highly qualified mathematician and theoretical physicist who has collaborated with Stephen Hawking. The book is over a thousand pages and took eight years to complete, making it a comprehensive and well-crafted resource for understanding the laws of the universe.
Donaldson
Hello, this is my first post. Anyway, when I was in high school I did not have my priorities in order so I missed out on my math education. About a year ago or more, I started reading a brief history of time. Now today I have read all the hawking books as well as several that covered specifically relativity, Quantum mechanics, String theory, M-theory etc. I have grown to love these subjects and I need to relearn basic math in order to go on to the complex math stuff so I can truly understand the subject. Is there a site or book that can dumb down the basics again so I can get a thorough refresher and move on to the really complex stuff? I am considering this as a degree choice and although I am good at math I forgot all the formulas and I am out of practice in general.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Donaldson said:
Hello, this is my first post. Anyway, when I was in high school I did not have my priorities in order so I missed out on my math education. About a year ago or more, I started reading a brief history of time. Now today I have read all the hawking books as well as several that covered specifically relativity, Quantum mechanics, String theory, M-theory etc. I have grown to love these subjects and I need to relearn basic math in order to go on to the complex math stuff so I can truly understand the subject. Is there a site or book that can dumb down the basics again so I can get a thorough refresher and move on to the really complex stuff? I am considering this as a degree choice and although I am good at math I forgot all the formulas and I am out of practice in general.

Hey there Donaldson and welcome to the forums.

If you really want to understand string theory, you need to get up to speed on a lot of math. When you hear about university math most of the math you learn in an undergraduate course is usually 17th/pre-17th century math up till say late 19th/late 20th century math.

The graduate courses usually focus on modern math which is 20th century.

On top of the math you need to be well versed in physics.

Although this doesn't directly deal with string theory per se, but the book by Roger Penrose called "The Road To Reality - The Complete Guide to the Laws of The Universe" is a good book that goes through the actual math and concepts in physics, but in a way that isn't completely dumbed down, and not filled with a plethora of greek symbols and complex proofs. In fact its over a thousand pages and it leads the reader up to a chapter that is about string theory. It is 1100 pages so its a long read, but if you want to get a better understanding of physics without becoming a PhD, this might be a good book for you.

Sounds like it may be a long read for me but I got nothing better to do while at work. I will definitely check it out

Donaldson said:
Sounds like it may be a long read for me but I got nothing better to do while at work. I will definitely check it out

The guy that wrote the book, Roger Penrose, is a very qualified mathematician and theoretical physicist. He's done a lot of collaboration with Stephen Hawking and is known for his singularity theorems and also for his Twistor Theory of Space-time. There are books on these but they are at a very high level.

I have the book and in the Acknowledgements he says it took about eight years to complete and if you get the book it definitely shows that there is a lot of effort put into make it concise, comprehensive, and also accessible to a wide audience.

Hello, it's great to hear that you have developed a love for subjects like relativity, quantum mechanics, and string theory. These are fascinating fields of study and it's never too late to learn or re-learn the necessary math skills to fully understand them.

One resource that I would recommend is Khan Academy (www.khanacademy.org). They have a wide range of math courses, from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus, all available for free. The courses are structured in a way that builds upon previous concepts, so you can start with the basics and work your way up to more complex topics.

Another helpful resource is OpenStax (www.openstax.org). They offer free textbooks and resources for various subjects, including math. Their textbooks are written in a way that is easy to understand and they also provide practice problems to help reinforce your understanding.

If you prefer a more traditional approach, there are many textbooks available that cover basic math concepts. You can also consider enrolling in a community college or online course to refresh your math skills.

Remember, practice makes perfect, so make sure to work through plenty of problems and seek help when needed. Best of luck on your journey to completing your knowledge!

Related to Help me complete my knowledge

What is the importance of completing one's knowledge?

The completion of knowledge allows for a deeper understanding of a particular subject or area of study. It enables one to make more informed decisions and can lead to personal and professional growth.

How can I go about completing my knowledge?

Completing one's knowledge can be achieved through various methods such as research, reading, attending seminars or workshops, or seeking guidance from experts in the field.

What are the benefits of completing my knowledge?

Completing one's knowledge can lead to improved critical thinking skills, increased problem-solving abilities, and a broader perspective on various topics. It can also open up new opportunities for career advancement.

Is it ever too late to complete my knowledge?

No, it is never too late to expand your knowledge. Learning is a lifelong process, and there is always room for growth and improvement. As long as you have the willingness and determination to learn, you can always complete your knowledge.

How can I stay motivated to complete my knowledge?

One way to stay motivated is to set specific and achievable goals for yourself. Additionally, surrounding yourself with like-minded individuals or finding a mentor can provide support and encouragement. It is also essential to remind yourself of the benefits and rewards that come with completing your knowledge.