Help Identifying Pigment by Rf Values

• Thread starter Mitchtwitchita
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rf
In summary, the conversation revolves around someone seeking help in identifying corresponding pigments for Rf values obtained in a lab. The person has already identified two pigments, but is unsure about the rest and is asking for assistance. Another person suggests checking a link for further help and questions the need for criticism.
Mitchtwitchita
I'm trying to find the corresponding pigment to the Rf values I obtained in a lab. However, I'm not having any luck, and I was wondering if someone here could help me out. The Rf's that I have are: 0.15, 0.19, 0.23, 0.28, 0.35, and 0.47. I already have 0.23 = Neoxanthin, and 0.35 = Violaxanthin. Does anybody know what pigments correspond to these Rf's or did I just make a blunder? Any help would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some of your own effort here before we can offer any help. You're going to have to provide a little more context to your assignment...what did you do, how did you do it, what was the purpose?

Is it that hard to check that original post is already a year old?

Well, no, now that I think of it. Do you cruise around looking for things to criticize? Is it really such a terrible error that you had to make something of it?

I suppose you will not repeat it, so objective achieved :smile:

Related to Help Identifying Pigment by Rf Values

What is the purpose of identifying pigments by Rf values?

Identifying pigments by Rf values is a common technique used in chromatography to determine the components of a mixture. It allows scientists to separate and analyze different pigments present in a sample.

What is an Rf value?

Rf (retention factor) value is a measure of the distance a pigment travels compared to the distance the solvent travels in chromatography. It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the pigment by the distance traveled by the solvent.

How is an Rf value useful in identifying pigments?

Each pigment has a unique Rf value depending on its chemical properties. By comparing the Rf values of known pigments to the Rf value of an unknown pigment, we can identify the unknown pigment and determine its chemical composition.

What factors can affect the Rf value of a pigment?

The Rf value of a pigment can be influenced by various factors such as the composition of the solvent, the type of paper used, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. It is important to keep these factors consistent for accurate results.

Are there any limitations to identifying pigments by Rf values?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. Some pigments may have similar Rf values, making it difficult to distinguish between them. Additionally, certain pigments may not be visible under certain wavelengths of light, making them undetectable by this technique.