Help for zeta functional equation

• Thread starter ilario980
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of contour integrals in the proof of the functional equation of the Riemann zeta function. The integrand is bounded on the circle of radius epsilon, and the author uses this to show that the integral on the circle vanishes as epsilon approaches zero. The conversation also includes a discussion on finding upper and lower bounds for the integrand and using the ML estimate. Finally, there is a question about whether this approach can be used for Re(s)<1.
ilario980
hi,
i'm studying the functional equation of riemann zeta function for Re(s)>1;
my book(complex analysis by T. Gamelin) use contour integral in the proof, where the contour is taken on the usual 3 curves (real axis and a small circle [tex]C\epsilon[/tex] around the origin). I'm not able to figure why the integral on the circle vanish as epsilon->0; the text report:

since [tex]e^{z -1}[/tex] has a simple zero at z=0, the integrand is bounded on the circle |z|=r by C [tex]\epsilon^{re(s)-2}[/tex]

wich is the estimate that the author use in this assertion?
i'm new to complex analysis and i want to say (if possible) what argument I've got to study
thanks

I.M.

Physics news on Phys.org
ilario980 said:
hi,
i'm studying the functional equation of riemann zeta function for Re(s)>1;
my book(complex analysis by T. Gamelin) use contour integral in the proof, where the contour is taken on the usual 3 curves (real axis and a small circle [tex]C\epsilon[/tex] around the origin). I'm not able to figure why the integral on the circle vanish as epsilon->0; the text report:

since [tex]e^{z -1}[/tex]

This appears to be a typo for [itex]{e^z}[/itex] - 1.

has a simple zero at z=0, the integrand

What's the integrand?

is bounded on the circle |z|=r by C [tex]\epsilon^{re(s)-2}[/tex]

wich is the estimate that the author use in this assertion?
i'm new to complex analysis and i want to say (if possible) what argument I've got to study
thanks

I.M.

the integral that vanish is [tex]\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint{\frac{(-z)^{s-1}}{e^{z}-1}dz}[/tex]taken on the circle |z|=epsilon as epsilon->0a little snapshot from Complex analysis by T. Gamelin:

http://ilario.mazzei.googlepages.com/Immagine.GIF

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, let's concentrate on estimating the integral

[tex]
\frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint{\frac{(-z)^{s-1}}{e^{z}-1}dz}
[/tex]

We want to show that the integrand is bounded by [itex]C\epsilon^{Re(s) - 2}[/itex], where C is a constant that doesn't depend on [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

The usual strategy for finding a bound on a fraction is to find an upper bound on the numerator and a lower bound on the denominator. I'll sketch the arguments, leaving it to you to fill in the details. Let me know if you want more details. I'll write [itex]s = \sigma + it[/itex]. First we consider the numerator:

[tex]|(-z)^{s-1}| = |exp((s - 1)log (-z))|

= |exp((s - 1) (log |z| + i arg (-z)))|

= |exp((\sigma - 1) + it)(log |z| + i arg (-z))|[/tex]

Now multiply out to show that this last expression equals

[tex]|z}|^{\sigma-1} exp(-t arg(z))[/tex]

and conclude that this expression is

[tex]\leq C_1\epsilon^{\sigma-1}[/tex]

for some constant [itex]C_1[/itex] independent of [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

Next we consider the denominator [itex]e^{z} - 1[/itex]:

Write [itex]f(z) = e^{z} - 1[/itex]. Since f(z) has a simple zero at z = 0, there exists a function g(z) such that

[tex]f(z) = zg(z)[/tex]

such that g is analytic and non-zero at z = 0. In fact, g is non-zero on some neighborhood of z = 0, which implies that g is nonzero on the circle |z| = [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for [itex]\epsilon[/itex] sufficiently small. (This is a standard result in complex analysis and should be in your book.)

Now use standard theorems about continuous functions on compact sets to conclude that there exists a constant [itex]C_2[/itex] such that g(z) > [itex]C_2[/itex] on |z| = [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. Therefore

[tex]|e^{z} - 1| > C_2|z|[/tex]

Finally, combine these inequalities to conclude that

[tex]\frac{|-z|^{s-1}}{|e^{z} - 1|} \leq C\epsilon^{s-2}[/tex]

for some constant C.

HTH

Petek

hi petek,
thanks for your reply.
i have some questions:

why we can't use the ML estimate? (since L->0 as espilon->0 )

Petek said:
Now multiply out to show that this last expression equals

[tex]|z}|^{\sigma-1} exp(-t arg(z))[/tex]

i've multiplied but at the end i have:

[tex]|z}|^{\sigma-1} exp(-t arg(-z)) exp(i (\sigma-1)arg(-z) + it log|z| )[/tex]

what I'm missing?

about the inequalities:

why this yields that the integral is less than [tex]C\epsilon^{s-1}[/tex]?

thanks

I.M.

ilario980 said:
hi petek,
thanks for your reply.
i have some questions:

why we can't use the ML estimate? (since L->0 as espilon->0 )

We will. See my reply to your last question.

i've multiplied but at the end i have:

[tex]|z}|^{\sigma-1} exp(-t arg(-z)) exp(i (\sigma-1)arg(-z) + it log|z| )[/tex]

what I'm missing?

The above expression should be enclosed in "absolute value" marks. Then note that if x is a real number,

[tex]|exp(ix)| = 1.[/tex]

about the inequalities:

why this yields that the integral is less than [tex]C\epsilon^{s-1}[/tex]?

Use the right side of this inequality as the M in the ML estimate. As you noted, L goes to zero.

thanks

I.M.

Please let me know if my replies are unclear or if you have any other questions.

Petek

hi Petek,
thank you very much for your help - very clear.

I have one more question:

if epsilon->0 the curve reduce to a point, and an every integral evaulated on a single point must be 0 since dz=0: this condition is not enough to proof that this curve integral is 0 (even if Re(s)<1)?I.M.

ilario980 said:
hi Petek,
thank you very much for your help - very clear.

I have one more question:

if epsilon->0 the curve reduce to a point, and an every integral evaulated on a single point must be 0 since dz=0: this condition is not enough to proof that this curve integral is 0 (even if Re(s)<1)?

I.M.

I'm not sure that I understand your argument. However, in general, there's a difference between epsilon approaching zero and letting epsilon equal zero.

Petek

the fabulous world of discontinuity :))

thank you very much.

Ilario M.

Related to Help for zeta functional equation

1. What is the zeta functional equation?

The zeta functional equation is an important mathematical relationship that links the values of the Riemann zeta function at different points on the complex plane. It is expressed as ζ(s) = 2sπs-1sin(πs/2)Γ(1-s)ζ(1-s), where ζ(s) is the Riemann zeta function and Γ(s) is the gamma function.

2. Why is the zeta functional equation important?

The zeta functional equation has numerous applications in mathematics and physics. It plays a crucial role in understanding the distribution of prime numbers, the behavior of quantum mechanical systems, and the Riemann hypothesis, one of the most famous unsolved problems in mathematics.

3. What is the significance of solving the zeta functional equation?

Solving the zeta functional equation allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the properties and behavior of the Riemann zeta function. It also has practical implications in fields such as cryptography, where the Riemann zeta function is used in the construction of secure algorithms.

4. How is the zeta functional equation solved?

The zeta functional equation can be solved using different methods, depending on the context and the desired level of accuracy. Some common techniques include analytic continuation, numerical approximation, and the use of functional equations and identities.

5. Are there any open problems related to the zeta functional equation?

Yes, the most famous open problem related to the zeta functional equation is the Riemann hypothesis, which states that all non-trivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function lie on the critical line Re(s) = 1/2. While many mathematicians have made progress towards solving this problem, it remains unsolved and is considered one of the most challenging problems in mathematics.