Help finding the initial speed

In summary, the problem involves an archer shooting an arrow horizontally at a target 12 m away. The arrow is aimed at the center of the target but hits 52 cm lower. Using the equations y=h-.5at^2 and x=vo*t, we can find the initial speed of the arrow by finding t, the time it takes for the arrow to travel 52 cm downwards due to gravity. This same time is also the time it takes for the arrow to travel 12 m towards the target with speed v.
Help finding the initial speed please !

Homework Statement

An archer shoots an arrow horizontally at a target 12 m away. The arrow is aimed directly at the center of the target, but it hits 52 cm lower. What was the initial speed of the arrow? (Neglect air resistance.)

Homework Equations

well I am just dumb founded on this problem could some one please help me.
the equation i was given is : y= h - .5at^2 and x=vo*t so we then know t= x/vo

second part of the equation is y=h -.5 a(x/vo)^2
then vox* the square root of (a/2)*(x^2/h-y)

The Attempt at a Solution

the problem I am having is finding all the right data to complete the problem. We know x = distance which then = 12 and h(height) = 52cm or .52m

so in the first equation when it says y=h-.5at^2 and x=vo*t we need to find t so we can subsitute it for t^2 in the 1st equation. so the equation is t=x/vo and we get t=12/vo i don't need the answer to the problem i just need help finding what t is so i can solve it for myself. can you please explain how to find vo or whatever i need to find to start this problem. I've been working on it for a while now and i can't seem to come up with any answers.

Thanks a lot to anyone who can be a hand

Physics news on Phys.org

You know that the arrow accelerate downwards 9.8m/s2 (g), so using your distance formula, you could get the time it takes to the arrow to travel 52cm downwards.
That same time is the time that the arrow, with speed v travels 12m in direction to the target.

thanks man i got it

Related to Help finding the initial speed

1. What is initial speed?

The initial speed refers to the speed at which an object is traveling at the beginning of its motion.

2. Why is it important to find the initial speed?

Finding the initial speed of an object is important in understanding its overall motion and predicting future movement.

3. How do you calculate initial speed?

Initial speed can be calculated by dividing the change in distance by the change in time, or by using the equation v = d/t, where v is the initial speed, d is the distance, and t is the time.

4. What are some methods for finding initial speed in an experiment?

Some common methods for finding initial speed in an experiment include using a stopwatch to measure time and recording the distance traveled by the object, using motion sensors to track the movement of the object, or analyzing video footage of the object's motion.

5. Can initial speed change over time?

Yes, initial speed can change over time as an object's velocity can change due to external forces such as friction, gravity, or air resistance.