Help finding the derivative for Faraday's equation?

• Thread starter radaballer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, Faraday's equation is a mathematical expression that relates the rate of change of magnetic flux to the induced electromotive force in a closed circuit. It is important because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of magnetic flux and determine the strength of the induced emf in a circuit. To find the derivative for Faraday's equation, we can use the formula dΦ/dt = -N(dB/dt), where dΦ/dt represents the rate of change of magnetic flux, N is the number of turns in the coil, and dB/dt is the rate of change of magnetic field strength. The units for the derivative of Faraday's equation are volts per second or webers per second. However,
radaballer
I need to find the derivative with respect to time of the magnetic flux (dΦB/dt). I have a time of .0085 seconds, and a magnetic flux of .0008 Wb. I am a little hazy on my calc skills.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Help finding the derivative for Faraday's equation?

1. What is Faraday's equation?

Faraday's equation is a mathematical expression that relates the rate of change of magnetic flux to the induced electromotive force (emf) in a closed circuit. It is named after the physicist Michael Faraday who first described it in the 1830s.

2. Why is finding the derivative for Faraday's equation important?

Finding the derivative for Faraday's equation is important because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of magnetic flux and determine the strength of the induced emf in a circuit. This is useful in applications such as generators, motors, and transformers.

3. How do you find the derivative for Faraday's equation?

To find the derivative for Faraday's equation, you can use the formula: dΦ/dt = -N(dB/dt), where dΦ/dt represents the rate of change of magnetic flux, N is the number of turns in the coil, and dB/dt is the rate of change of magnetic field strength.

4. What are the units for the derivative of Faraday's equation?

The units for the derivative of Faraday's equation are volts per second (V/s) or webers per second (Wb/s).

5. Can Faraday's equation be applied to non-closed circuits?

No, Faraday's equation can only be applied to closed circuits where the magnetic flux is changing. In non-closed circuits, the emf may still be induced, but it cannot be calculated using this equation.