Help Finding eigenvalues of angular momentum operators

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the eigenvalues of the expression 3/5 Lx - 4/5 Ly, where Lx and Ly are angular momentum operators. The conversation suggests using the operators L^2 and Lz to solve the problem, but there is confusion on how to connect them together. Other suggestions include using rotations and ladder operators, but it is unclear how to apply them to the problem. Ultimately, the conversation ends without a clear solution to finding the eigenvalues.
thebigstar25
urgent help!.. Finding eigenvalues of angular momentum operators

the question is asking to find the eigenvalues of:

3/5 Lx - 4/5 Ly ...

I feel that i have to connect it with the L^2 and Lz operators but i just have no idea how to start .. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated ..

Physics news on Phys.org

Why is there a ..., is there more to the problem?

If you know the matrix forms of the operators (are you in 2D, 3D, what?), then all you have to do is subtract and diagonalize.

... R just dots , and I am supposed to do it without considering the matrix form :(

Ah, okay, take a general ket and work with it then.

You should know L^2|l,m> and Lz|l,m> and that L^2=Lx^2+Ly^2+Lz^2

that what I was confused about .. how would I apply L^2=Lx^2+Ly^2+Lz^2 in order to find 3/5 Lx - 4/5 Ly , since the expression I have without "square" .. I am not sure how to connect them together..

Once you know the answer, it seems like it should have been obvious. One suggestion is to think about rotations.

A different approach would be to write Lx and Ly in terms of the ladder operators L+ and L-, but I'm not sure how this way works out.

i tried ur second suggestion but things got messy there .. How would i make use of the symmetry along z axis..

Does it only ask for eigenvalues, or eigenvectors as well? Because eigenvalues are very simple to get using rotations as vela noted.

Last edited:

it is just the eigenvalues .. My problem is that I am not sure how to apply that to my question .. Anyway, this question from an old homework and i just wanted to know how to solve it ..

First, do you know what the rotation operator for angular momentum is? Since that will help you solve this problem.

no i don't know, or maybe i do but i don't know that it is called rotation operator?.. I am not sure :/

Related to Help Finding eigenvalues of angular momentum operators

1. What are eigenvalues and why are they important in quantum mechanics?

Eigenvalues are a set of numbers that represent the possible outcomes of a measurement for a specific physical quantity in quantum mechanics. In other words, they are the possible values that a physical system can take on. They are important because they provide information about the states and properties of a quantum system, and can help predict the results of measurements.

2. How do angular momentum operators relate to eigenvalues?

Angular momentum operators are mathematical operators that represent the total angular momentum of a quantum system. They have associated eigenvalues, which represent the possible values of the total angular momentum that can be measured for a given system.

3. How do you find the eigenvalues of angular momentum operators?

To find the eigenvalues of angular momentum operators, you can use the mathematical expression for the operator and solve for the values that satisfy the equation. Alternatively, you can use a matrix representation of the operator and find its eigenvalues using standard methods such as diagonalization.

4. What is the physical significance of eigenvalues of angular momentum operators?

The eigenvalues of angular momentum operators represent the possible values of the total angular momentum of a quantum system. This information is important in understanding the states and properties of the system, as well as predicting the results of measurements related to angular momentum.

5. How do eigenvalues of angular momentum operators affect the energy levels of a quantum system?

The eigenvalues of angular momentum operators can affect the energy levels of a quantum system by determining the possible states and properties of the system. In turn, this affects the energy levels since the energy of a quantum system is dependent on its states and properties.