Help! Find the Magnitude of a Displacement Vector

In summary, the woman walked 143m in the direction 35° east of north, then 178m directly east. The magnitude of her displacement vector is 306m.
DavidAp
A woman walks 143m in the direction 55° east of north, then 178m directly east. Find the magnitude of the displacement vector.

Answer: 306m

Relevant equations:
I will use vA as a shorthand to represent vector A and ||vA|| to represent the magnitude.

Ax = ||vA||cos(theta)
Ay = ||vA||sin(theta)
||vA|| = sqrt(Ax^2 + Ay^2)

--------------------------------

Since I know the magnitude of vA (assuming vA is the starting vector) and the angle in which she left the origin of the coordinate grid I can use the two equations stated above to find the values of Ax and Ay.

Ax = 143m*cos(55) = 82.02m
Ay = 143m*sin(55) = 117.14m

Now I add vA + vB (<82.02m, 117.14m> + <178m, 0m>) to obtain vC, the vector displacement between her starting position to her final position. However, when I go and find the magnitude of the vector I always come out with the wrong answer, 285.19m.

vC = <260.02m, 117.14m>
||vC|| = sqrt(260.02m^2 + 117.14m^2) = sqrt(81332.18m^2) = 285.19m.

What did I do wrong? I thought this would be a simple problem but I keep coming out with the wrong answer. Can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is that you're angle is wrong. Try drawing a small graph with the angle starting from the positive y-axis (north) and going towards the x-axis (east). You see that the 55° angle is made with the y-axis, and not the x-axis.

Yes the angle is wrong. Since they say east of north (which I personally think is a stupid way to say) they mean 90-55=35 degrees. The rest is correct.

Last edited:

Related to Help! Find the Magnitude of a Displacement Vector

1. What is a displacement vector?

A displacement vector is a mathematical quantity that represents the change in position or location of an object. It has both magnitude (length) and direction, and is typically represented graphically as an arrow.

2. How is the magnitude of a displacement vector calculated?

The magnitude of a displacement vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the displacement vector) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (the x and y components).

3. Can the magnitude of a displacement vector be negative?

No, the magnitude of a displacement vector is always a positive value. It represents the distance between the initial and final positions of an object, which cannot be negative.

4. What are some common units for measuring displacement vectors?

Displacement vectors can be measured in a variety of units, including meters, kilometers, centimeters, feet, and inches. The appropriate unit depends on the scale and context of the problem being solved.

5. How is a displacement vector different from a distance vector?

A displacement vector represents the change in position of an object, while a distance vector represents the total distance traveled by the object. In other words, a displacement vector takes into account the direction of movement, whereas a distance vector only considers the magnitude of the movement.