Help doing an integral using stokes theorem?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Stokes theorem to solve for the integral of a given function over a semi-ellipsoid in the plane z=0. The solution involves finding the curl of the function and using a substitution to change the integral to polar coordinates.
madcattle

Homework Statement

F= xi + x3y2j + zk
C is the boundary of the semi-ellipsoid z=√(4-4x2-y2) in the plane z=0

Homework Equations

Stokes theorem states:
∫∫(curlF ° n)dS

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the curl of the F to be 3x2y2k
I found that the dot product of CurlF and n = 3x2y2 divided by dS

Then,
∫∫(3x2y2)/(dS)*dS
=∫∫(3x2y2)dxdy
I evaluated this integral on Wolfram Alpha with the following boundaries:
y goes from -√(4-4x2) to √(4-4x2)
and x from -1 to 1 and got the correct answer = ∏

However, I am finding it impossible (for me!) to do the integral by hand and am wondering if someone can help me turn this into polar coordinates or something else that makes it more solvable

Thank!

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to integrate on the region [itex]x^2 + \left( \frac{y}{2} \right)^2 \leq 1[/itex]. Consider the substitution [itex]y = 2y_1[/itex]. Then your integral becomes:

[tex]\int_{D} 24 x^2 y_1^2\ dx dy_1[/tex]

Where D is now the unit disk in the (x, y_1) plane centered at the origin. Can you see how to put that into polar coordinates?

Related to Help doing an integral using stokes theorem?

1. How do I know when to use Stokes theorem to solve an integral?

Stokes theorem is typically used when the integral involves a closed surface or a closed curve, and when the vector field being integrated over is conservative. This means that the integral will have the same value regardless of the path taken.

2. What are the steps for using Stokes theorem to solve an integral?

The first step is to identify the closed surface or curve and the vector field being integrated over. Then, use the appropriate form of Stokes theorem (either the surface or line integral form) to rewrite the integral. Finally, evaluate the integral using techniques such as parameterization and substitution.

3. Can Stokes theorem be used for any type of vector field?

No, Stokes theorem can only be used for conservative vector fields, which have the property that the line integral is independent of path. Non-conservative vector fields may require other methods, such as Green's theorem or the divergence theorem, to solve integrals.

4. Are there any limitations to using Stokes theorem?

Stokes theorem can only be applied to closed surfaces or curves, and the vector field must be conservative. Additionally, the surface or curve must be smooth and satisfy certain other conditions for the theorem to hold.

5. Can Stokes theorem be used for higher dimensions?

Yes, Stokes theorem can be extended to any number of dimensions. In fact, the surface integral form of Stokes theorem is also known as the generalized Stokes theorem, which applies to integrals over any k-dimensional manifold in n-dimensional space.