HELP Characteristic Equation question

In summary, the frequency can be directly determined from the solutions of the characteristic equation, which in this case are z=-5.71839i and z=5.71839i. The characteristic equation is z^2+az+b=0, and the solutions are linear combinations of cos(5.71839t) and sin(5.71839t). The period can be found by setting 5.71839t=2pi, and the frequency is the reciprocal of the period.
Gspace

Homework Statement

Come up with the frequency directly from the solutions of the characteristic equation.

{{z=0.-5.71839 i},{z=0.+5.71839 i}}

Homework Equations

characteristic equation = z^2+b z+c=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have left out a heckuvalot! Please don't ask other people to guess what you are doing.

My guess, however, is that you have a differential equation of the form x"+ ax= 0 which has characteristic equation [itex]z^2+ a= 0[/itex] and now you know that the solutions are [itex]z= -5.71839 i[/itex] and [itex]z= 5.71839 i[/itex].

You should know that is [itex]\alpha i[/itex] and [itex]-\alpha i[/itex] are solutions to the characteristic equation of a linear, homogeneous, differential equation with constant coefficients, then the solutions are linear combinations of [itex]cos(\alpha t)[/itex] and [itex]sin(\alpha t)[/itex].

So your solutions are [itex]cos(5.71839 t)[/itex] and [itex]sin(5.71839 t)[/itex]

Those will complete one cycle when [itex]5.71839 t= 2\pi= 6.28318[/itex]. That will tell you the period and the frequency is the reciprocal of the period.

Related to HELP Characteristic Equation question

1. What is the "HELP Characteristic Equation"?

The "HELP Characteristic Equation" is a mathematical formula used to describe the behavior of a system over time. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze various processes.

2. How is the "HELP Characteristic Equation" derived?

The "HELP Characteristic Equation" is typically derived from the system's governing equations or laws. It involves manipulating the equations to obtain a characteristic equation in terms of the system's parameters.

3. What is the significance of the "HELP Characteristic Equation"?

The "HELP Characteristic Equation" allows scientists and engineers to understand and predict the behavior of a system over time. It can provide insights into stability, oscillations, and other important characteristics of the system.

4. Can the "HELP Characteristic Equation" be solved analytically?

In some cases, the "HELP Characteristic Equation" can be solved analytically, meaning a closed-form solution can be obtained. However, in more complex systems, numerical methods may be necessary to solve the equation.

5. How is the "HELP Characteristic Equation" used in real-world applications?

The "HELP Characteristic Equation" has numerous applications in fields such as control systems, electronic circuits, and fluid mechanics. It is used to design and optimize systems, as well as to understand and predict their behavior.