Help a Physics grad read up on Chemistry

In summary, a graduate student with a background in physics is seeking assistance in finding learning materials for basic chemistry concepts. They are looking for a short, accurate and well-written book, and have received suggestions for General Chemistry by Linus Pauling and a calculus-based honors introduction to chemistry.
Zoroaster
Hi all,

I am a grad student with a Physics BSc. For various reasons, I have never actually done a basic pure chemistry course, even at high school level. Naturally, I have come across many concepts from chemistry in my courses, but I lack the fundamental overview of the field, and I am very shaky on many of the basic terms and concepts. I therefore decided that I need to look into basic [sic] chemistry. I'm hoping that someone here might be of assistance in deciding on some learning materials.

I am hoping to find something else than a standard chemistry undergraduate book. As a grad student, I don't have oceans of time to devote to this (sadly), but I'm not looking for anything sugarcoated that risks going on behalf of scientific accuracy either. Ideally, a short, well written book introducing the fundamental concepts would be great (asking quite a lot here, I know).

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch

Physics news on Phys.org
couple of Atkins' texts

A calculus based honors introduction to chemistry: Chemical Principles and the upper division Molecular Quantum Mechanics are up-to-date and worth looking at. Neither is short but they don't sugar coat and you can skip around.

mindheavy said:

As a former student of chemistry who switched to physics, I second this. I consider it the Halliday-Resnick of chemistry.

Thanks a lot guys, excellent advice. I've ordered the Pauling book and will have a look at the other ones in the library.

Related to Help a Physics grad read up on Chemistry

1. What are the main differences between physics and chemistry?

Physics is the study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. Chemistry, on the other hand, focuses on the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of substances. While both fields are closely related and share many concepts, they have different approaches and goals.

2. What are some key concepts in chemistry that a physics grad should focus on?

Some important concepts in chemistry that may be new to a physics grad include atomic structure, chemical bonding, and the periodic table. It is also helpful to understand chemical reactions, stoichiometry, and thermodynamics.

3. Are there any resources specifically designed for physics grads to learn chemistry?

Yes, there are several resources available such as textbooks, online courses, and tutorials that are tailored for physics grads. These resources often highlight the connections between physics and chemistry and help bridge the knowledge gap between the two fields.

4. How can a physics grad apply their knowledge to chemistry?

Physics grads have a strong foundation in mathematics and scientific principles, which can be applied to understanding and solving problems in chemistry. Additionally, the analytical and critical thinking skills acquired in physics can be valuable in approaching chemical experiments and data analysis.

5. Are there any common misconceptions about chemistry that a physics grad should be aware of?

One common misconception is that chemistry is primarily memorization-based, while physics is more focused on understanding concepts. In reality, both fields require a balance of both memorization and understanding. Another misconception is that chemistry is less math-heavy than physics, when in fact both fields heavily rely on mathematical concepts.