Helmholtz wave equation

In summary: It is important to note that this solution only describes the incident wave and not its reflection. To take into account the reflection, you would need to include a reflection coefficient in the solution.
compxci
If I was only considering the "elliptical arc" as 1/6 of a circle and all I was concerned with was the radial and angular dependencies (w.r.t.) and two sinusoidal sources acting in unison as the forcing term which is actually 2 sin(60t), how would this wave equation be set up and what would be the B.C.'s? Initial displacement is zero @t=0, initial velocity ~=0 @t=0.

Helmholtz's equation: Ztt = del(grad(Z))+Lambda(Z)+F(r,theta) => Z(r,theta,t) 0<r<R, 0< theta<PI, t>0
=>Z(r,theta,0) =0 0<r<R, 0<theta<PI
=>Zt(r,theta,0)~=0
periodic conditions: Z(r,0)=Z(r,PI)
Ztheta(r,0)=Ztheta(r,PI)

Where, F(r,theta) = 2sin(60t)
My problem is I'm not sure what the B.C.'s really are, it is not until milliseconds later that the first ripple is incidence upon the wave guide and this only describes the incidence wave and not it's reflection. Can anyone Please shed some light on this problem, time is running out!

Could it or would it be advisable to solve it as an Eigenfunction expansion method?? I must do the analysis first, then I can implement the code.

Attachments

• 102711b.jpg
    102711b.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can solve it using an eigenfunction expansion method. This involves writing the Helmholtz equation in terms of its eigenfunctions and then solving for the coefficients which represent the radial and angular dependence of the solution. The boundary conditions would be that Z(r,theta,0)=0 and Zt(r,theta,0)~=0 for 0<r<R and 0<theta<PI. Additionally, you would need to enforce the periodic conditions, i.e. Z(r,0)=Z(r,PI) and Ztheta(r,0)=Ztheta(r,PI).

Related to Helmholtz wave equation

1. What is the Helmholtz wave equation?

The Helmholtz wave equation is a partial differential equation that describes the propagation of waves in three-dimensional space. It is named after the German physicist Hermann von Helmholtz, who derived it in the 19th century.

2. What is the significance of the Helmholtz wave equation in physics?

The Helmholtz wave equation is a fundamental equation in physics that is used to describe a wide range of phenomena, including electromagnetic waves, acoustic waves, and quantum mechanical waves. It is also used in solving problems related to heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and elasticity.

3. What are the main variables in the Helmholtz wave equation?

The Helmholtz wave equation has two main variables: the wave function, which describes the amplitude and phase of the wave, and the wave number, which represents the spatial frequency of the wave. These variables are used to solve for the behavior of the wave in a given system.

4. How is the Helmholtz wave equation derived?

The Helmholtz wave equation is derived from the more general wave equation, which describes the behavior of waves in any number of dimensions. It is obtained by applying the separation of variables method to the wave equation, which involves assuming that the solution can be expressed as a product of functions of different variables.

5. What are some applications of the Helmholtz wave equation?

The Helmholtz wave equation has numerous applications in various fields of physics and engineering. It is used in the design of antennas and other electromagnetic devices, in the study of sound propagation in different media, and in solving problems related to wave phenomena in quantum mechanics. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI and ultrasound, to analyze and interpret wave signals.