Helmholtz coils and a Hall Effect probe

In summary, the conversation discusses three experiments involving the use of Helmholtz coils and a Hall Effect probe. The first experiment involves measuring the magnetic field in the middle of a circular coil with a current of 3A. The second experiment involves drawing a graph to determine the homogeneity of the magnetic field when using two circular coils at different distances. The third experiment involves measuring the magnetic field at the end of a solenoid with and without an iron bar. The conversation also mentions three graphs, labeled with different values for the ratio between the distance between coils and the coil radius, and the need to understand the theory behind the experiments in order to properly interpret the results.
Andrea
hello,

here is my second message.(and my English is still very bad)
I don't understand these 3 little experiments(we need Helmholtz coils and a Hall Effect probe)

I know I have to draw a graph for each situation but I can't interpret the difference between the theory and the experiment.

1)Measure the magnetic field in the middle of a circular coil crossed by a current I(I max=3 A)
2)Draw a graph to explain the intensity of the magnetic field made by the two cicular coils (radius=a),on the axis of this assembly and for different distances L between the coils.Try to find experimentally the Helmholtz condition(2 b=a) when the field has a maximal homogenity.
3)Using some more little currents (2.A),measure the magnetic field at the end of a solenoid (square coil 500 spires) with an iron bar (the framework of the processing).How is the magnetic changed
-with or without the iron "nucleus"
-if we take the half-number of spires

I have sent 3 images concerning the 2nd question:
1°:2b=4
2°:2 b=8
3°:2b=16

Can you tell me how to comment on those graphs because I must find the Helmholtz curve.
For the 3 experiments,what is the theoretical aspect?(cause I obtain some strange graphs...).I don't know if I have to use some formula's too.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• grafff.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 294
  • graff1.doc
    24 KB · Views: 263
  • graff2.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 272
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you did this experiment without understanding the theory behind it, namely what the Helhholtz configuration of coils is and what it is supposed to accomplish. You also don't explain what your 3 sets of measurements 2b = 4, 2b = 8 and 2b = 16 mean. Without a number for the radius a of the coils these are quantitatively meaningless because the important parameter here is the ratio of the distance between coils to the radius. Also your graphs are not labeled, which is a no-no for plots. It looks like in the first two graphs your coils were too close together and in the third one too far apart to satisfy the Helmholtz coil conduction. If you don't know what you are looking for, you will not be able to find it even when you see it.

Related to Helmholtz coils and a Hall Effect probe

1. What are Helmholtz coils and how do they work?

Helmholtz coils are a set of two identical circular coils placed parallel to each other and separated by a distance equal to their radius. They are used to generate a uniform magnetic field in the space between them. The coils work by passing an electric current through them in opposite directions, creating a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the axis of the coils.

2. What is the purpose of a Hall Effect probe?

A Hall Effect probe is used to measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field. It works by using the Hall Effect, which is the production of a voltage across an electrical conductor when it is placed in a magnetic field. This voltage is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field.

3. How are Helmholtz coils and a Hall Effect probe used together?

Helmholtz coils and a Hall Effect probe are often used together in experiments to study the properties of magnetic fields. The Helmholtz coils are used to generate a known and uniform magnetic field, while the Hall Effect probe is used to measure the strength and direction of the magnetic field at different points. This allows for the calculation of the magnetic field's properties, such as its magnitude and direction.

4. What are some common applications of Helmholtz coils and a Hall Effect probe?

Helmholtz coils and a Hall Effect probe have a variety of applications in physics, engineering, and research. They are commonly used to study the properties of magnetic materials, calibrate other magnetic field measuring instruments, and in particle accelerators to produce a uniform magnetic field. They are also used in medical imaging equipment, such as MRI machines, to create a magnetic field for imaging purposes.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of measurements using Helmholtz coils and a Hall Effect probe?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of measurements using Helmholtz coils and a Hall Effect probe. These include the distance between the coils, the current passing through the coils, and the sensitivity and orientation of the Hall Effect probe. Other factors such as external magnetic fields and temperature can also impact the accuracy of the measurements.