Hello,I have a question. If A and B are NND matrices, how to prove

• Thread starter xihashiwo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, the question is asking how to prove that the column space of A, C(A), belongs to the column space of the sum of A and B, C(A+B), given that A and B are nonnegative definite matrices. The person asking the question has tried using the approach of proving C(A)<C(A,B) and C(A+B)<C(A,B) but is stuck and is seeking help. They also clarify that NND stands for nonnegative definite and C represents column space.
xihashiwo
Hello,

I have a question. If A and B are NND matrices, how to prove C(A) belongs to C(A+B)?

I can prove that C(A)<C(A,B) by using A=(A,B)transpose[(I,0)], and I also can prove C(A+B)<C(A,B) using the similar approach.

But I cannot move further because my thoughs maybe not related to the answer at all.

Can someone help? Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to explain your notation. What's NND? what's "C" ?

NND is nonnegative definite, C is column space

Also, I get that C(A + B) is the column space of the matrix sum, A + B, but what does C(A, B) mean? And this - (A,B)transpose[(I,0)].

Please no worry about those stuff, I am just confused about my original question, why C(A) belongs to C(A+B), is there any tricks?

Mark44 said:
Also, I get that C(A + B) is the column space of the matrix sum, A + B, but what does C(A, B) mean? And this - (A,B)transpose[(I,0)].

Related to Hello,I have a question. If A and B are NND matrices, how to prove

1. How do I prove that A and B are NND matrices?

The simplest way to prove that A and B are NND (non-negative definite) matrices is to show that all of their eigenvalues are non-negative. This can be done by calculating the eigenvalues of A and B, and then checking if they are all greater than or equal to 0.

2. What is the definition of a NND matrix?

A NND matrix is a square matrix in which all of the eigenvalues are non-negative. In other words, the matrix has only positive or zero eigenvalues.

3. Can a matrix be both NND and negative definite at the same time?

No, a matrix cannot be both NND and negative definite. A matrix is said to be negative definite if all of its eigenvalues are negative. This is the opposite of a NND matrix, which has only non-negative eigenvalues.

4. How do I determine if a matrix is NND without calculating its eigenvalues?

One way to determine if a matrix is NND without calculating its eigenvalues is to check if it is symmetric and all of its diagonal elements are non-negative. If these conditions are met, then the matrix is NND.

5. Can a non-square matrix be NND?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be NND. NND is a property that only applies to square matrices, meaning they have the same number of rows and columns.