Hello, I am in desperate need to solve this problem involving different tensions

In summary, the conversation was about finding the tension of two strings holding a 20 kg object at rest. The angles of the strings were given as 60 and 70 degrees, and there were no other forces acting on the system. The person asking for help was asked to show their attempt at the solution before receiving assistance, as per forum rules. It was also pointed out that the problem is a statics one and the sum of the forces must equal zero for the object to be at rest.
Mathguy197
ok, and object is hanging on two strings. The object weights 20 kg and the angle of the two strings are different, one of them is 60 and the other one is 70. There are no other forces in it. I need to figure out the tension of each string.

Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!
I'm not completely sure of this, so take what I say with a pinch (handful, even) of salt.

The system is at rest, so to find the tension it's going to be the weight that the string is holding. To find that i would be using rectangular components of a force, taking the weight of the object as the vertical component and the 70 and 60's as the angles.

This question should be in the homework section and you need to show your attempt at the solution before anyone can help you.

this isint homework... I am in 8th... I am not learning this yet... i go to this enrichment program and I am completely lost... so yeah, if you know the answer. Please help me

If it's work you're doing in your home it's homework :wink: - that's the literal part dealt with.

The forum rules are quite clear regarding homework/textbook questions.

You must show your attempt before anyone can give guidance. Regardless, we are not allowed to simply give the answer.

Mathguy197 said:
this isint homework... I am in 8th... I am not learning this yet... i go to this enrichment program and I am completely lost... so yeah, if you know the answer. Please help me
Nevertheless, as Jared indicated, it is homework, and those doing homework are expected to demonstrate effort and show work.

If the mass is at rest, as is indicated by hanging, then this is a statics problem. One should look at the forces acting on the mass. The sum for forces must equal zero, since the mass is not moving.

In order for the sum of the forces to be zero, what must be the condition on the components of the forces in the vertical and horizontal?

Related to Hello, I am in desperate need to solve this problem involving different tensions

1. What is the problem you are trying to solve?

The problem involves finding a solution for different tensions, which could be caused by various factors such as weight, elasticity, or force.

2. Why is it important to solve this problem?

Solving this problem can have practical applications in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It can also lead to a better understanding of how tension affects different materials and systems.

3. What methods are you using to solve this problem?

I am using a combination of theoretical analysis and experimental testing to gather data and develop a solution. This may involve creating mathematical models, conducting simulations, and performing physical experiments.

4. How do you determine the different tensions involved in the problem?

The different tensions can be determined by measuring the forces acting on the system and considering the properties of the materials involved. This may also require taking into account external factors such as gravity or friction.

5. What are the potential challenges in solving this problem?

Some potential challenges in solving this problem include accurately measuring and controlling the different tensions, accounting for all relevant factors, and finding a solution that is applicable to a variety of situations. There may also be limitations in the available resources and technology.