Hello from a future engineer

In summary, engineering is a career that allows individuals to apply scientific principles to solve real-world problems and make a positive impact on society. Some key skills for success in this field include problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity, attention to detail, and strong communication and teamwork abilities. Common misconceptions about engineering include it being only for those who are good at math and science, and that engineers only work on complex projects. The most challenging aspect of being an engineer is finding the most efficient and effective solution to a problem, as well as staying updated on new technologies and advancements. For those interested in pursuing a career in engineering, it is important to explore different fields, develop a strong foundation in necessary skills, and continuously learn and adapt.
LaLaLina
Hello Physics Forums Folks! I finally took the plunge to join your forums, as I should have done way earlier in the semester. I'm very impressed with the manner in which problems are worked out here and formulas are shown. I have a weakness in being able to manipulate the formulas in physics and I am looking forward to working with members of this community to help guide me in the right direction when I get a little turned around.

I am a hard working mother of two boys, who has gone back to school as an adult. I'm 38 years old and I received my Associate of Science last semester from a local community college. I am now in the Engineering Program at the University of North Texas (Go Mean Green!) majoring in Mechanical and Energy Engineering.

I do understand most of the concepts I have learned in physics, as this is the 2nd time I am taking it - only this is the Calculus based course this time around. And, the first time I took it, the course was open book/open notes, so I did not have to truly apply myself to understanding how to manipulate the equations the way we are doing out at UNT. So far I am making a low B in the course.

I totally appreciate this site as well as the help other's work has provided me, and I'm ready to dive in and ask for some help of my own tonight. Thank you physics people. You guys are fantastic, and I really look up to you.

Likes Astronuc and Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers rule...and we're not all physics people here...

I would describe myself as an energy and mechanical engineer, but I didn't actually know that "energy engineer" was a degree option. Or is that mechanical engineering, with a certain focus in energy?

Hi Russ.
UNT actually has a specific program that merges energy engineering into their mechanical program. They are big on being a "green" school, and with so many companies "going green", they felt it was a smart move to adapt their program to accommodate what future engineers will be working with in their environments.

I am only in my first semester, so I don't actually know the specifics that make MEEN different than ME, however it is one of the reasons I chose UNT over UT Dallas. More bang for my buck. And the program is ABET? accredited. (I believe it has something to do with team working skills and projects)

I'm away from my resume, or I'd be able to tell you what the actual accreditation is.

Nice to meet another engineer.

So, it piqued my curiosity and I googled the course list. It looks virtually identical to the standard ME course list except that several courses have the word "energy" added to them. It's a bit vauge and I know I'm biased, but I like the angle.

Likes LaLaLina
Welcome Lina!

Likes LaLaLina
LaLaLina said:
I am a hard working mother of two boys, who has gone back to school as an adult. ... I am now in the Engineering Program at the University of North Texas
I have no doubt you'll be a successful Engineer. Welcome to PF.

Likes LaLaLina
Congratulations! Work hard, do your research and stay dedicated to your goal.

Likes LaLaLina and Medicol
LaLaLina said:
I am only in my first semester, so I don't actually know the specifics that make MEEN different than ME, however it is one of the reasons I chose UNT over UT Dallas. More bang for my buck. And the program is ABET? accredited. (I believe it has something to do with team working skills and projects)
One of the requirements for professional engineers is to have a degree from an ABET accredited program. http://www.abet.org/

Basically the organization assesses an engineering program on certain criteria, including the curriculum, homework and testing, experimental/laboratory program, . . . . The accreditation means the programs meets certain requirements.

Best wishes for success in one's academic pursuits and engineering program.

One should look into becoming a student member of ASME - www.asme.org.

Yes Astronuc,
One of the first things I did was join up with ASME. Thanks for the advice.

Related to Hello from a future engineer

1. What inspired you to become an engineer?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the natural world and how things work. Engineering allows me to apply scientific principles to solve real-world problems and make a positive impact on society.

2. What skills are necessary to become a successful engineer?

Some key skills for an engineer include problem-solving, critical thinking, creativity, attention to detail, and strong communication and teamwork abilities. It is also important to have a strong foundation in math, science, and technology.

3. What are some common misconceptions about engineering?

One common misconception is that engineering is only for people who are good at math and science. While these subjects are important, engineering also requires creativity, communication, and teamwork. Another misconception is that engineers only work on complex projects, when in reality, engineers can work on a wide range of projects in various fields.

4. What is the most challenging aspect of being an engineer?

The most challenging aspect of being an engineer is often finding the most efficient and effective solution to a problem. This requires critical thinking, creativity, and the ability to think outside the box. Additionally, staying updated on new technologies and advancements in the field can also be challenging.

5. What advice do you have for someone interested in pursuing a career in engineering?

My advice would be to explore different fields of engineering to find your passion and then focus on developing a strong foundation in the necessary skills and knowledge. Don't be afraid to ask questions, seek out mentors, and continuously learn and adapt to new technologies and advancements in the field.