Hello - A drowning student taking AP Physics 1 Online

• Thread starter rosedog09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Physics
rosedog09
How did you find PF?
Prior Home Work Google Search
Hello. I am joining this forum in hopes of expanding my physics knowledge and improving my accuracy in my current AP Physics Class. This class has been awful. I am normally top of my class, including AP Calculus BC, so I have a firm grasp of studying and mathematics. I am hoping to be a mechanical engineer.

However, this online class is pushing me to my limits. The simple concepts are taught incompletely and incorrectly. The answer keys are often just as incorrect as the students, and the teachers are not helpful. I have had many multi-day email arguments with teachers that eventually resolve in me being correct and the answer key being incorrect.

My teacher didn't grade half my assignments until this week, so now I am bombarded with corrections of both my answers and the key to complete. Quite frankly it is overwhelming. I am hoping this forum can help me. See you around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. Sorry you're having so much trouble at the moment.

For schoolwork-related problems, post in the Homework Help forums and fill out the Template that you are provided there when starting a new schoolwork thread. That includes the Problem Statement, the Relevant Equations, and your Attempt at the Solution. Always show your work on the problem so that we can then provide tutorial help.

The Homework Statement is where you list the problem word-for-word as it is given to you. You can also upload a PDF or JPEG image of the problem if that helps, but it's usually required that you type the problem in as well. The Relevant Equations section is to help you think about and list the equations and formulas and concepts that may be helpful in working the problem. You then show your work in the section below (the main body of the thread start).

To post math equations, it's best to use the LaTeX engine that PF provides. There is a helpful "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to get you started. Note that you put double-$ delimiters at the start and end of each stand-alone line of LaTeX, and double-# delimiters at the start and end of in-line LaTeX that does not need to be on its own line.

Example of in-line LaTeX: ##v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}##

Example of stand-alone LaTeX:
$$v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}$$
Also, if you right-click on a LaTeX equation in a post, you get a pop-up menu to let you view the LaTeX source or view it in other formats.

LaTeX isn't supported in thread titles, so you can use simple text math in titles if you want.

Note also that PF uses a feature called "lazy LaTeX rendering" that speeds up page loads. When you first post your LaTeX in a thread, you will not see it rendered that first time. Just refresh your browser page to force it to be rendered, and then it should render whenever you come back to that page/thread in the future.

If you have trouble using the Preview feature to check your LaTeX, you can use a website such as https://www.quicklatex.com/ or https://latexeditor.lagrida.com/ to preview your LaTeX before you post it.

Likes DeBangis21, Mark44 and Bystander
Welcome to PF.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF. Sorry you're having so much trouble at the moment.

For schoolwork-related problems, post in the Homework Help forums and fill out the Template that you are provided there when starting a new schoolwork thread. That includes the Problem Statement, the Relevant Equations, and your Attempt at the Solution. Always show your work on the problem so that we can then provide tutorial help.

The Homework Statement is where you list the problem word-for-word as it is given to you. You can also upload a PDF or JPEG image of the problem if that helps, but it's usually required that you type the problem in as well. The Relevant Equations section is to help you think about and list the equations and formulas and concepts that may be helpful in working the problem. You then show your work in the section below (the main body of the thread start).

To post math equations, it's best to use the LaTeX engine that PF provides. There is a helpful "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit window to get you started. Note that you put double-$ delimiters at the start and end of each stand-alone line of LaTeX, and double-# delimiters at the start and end of in-line LaTeX that does not need to be on its own line.

Example of in-line LaTeX: ##v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}##

Example of stand-alone LaTeX:
$$v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}$$
Also, if you right-click on a LaTeX equation in a post, you get a pop-up menu to let you view the LaTeX source or view it in other formats.

LaTeX isn't supported in thread titles, so you can use simple text math in titles if you want.

Note also that PF uses a feature called "lazy LaTeX rendering" that speeds up page loads. When you first post your LaTeX in a thread, you will not see it rendered that first time. Just refresh your browser page to force it to be rendered, and then it should render whenever you come back to that page/thread in the future.

If you have trouble using the Preview feature to check your LaTeX, you can use a website such as https://www.quicklatex.com/ or https://latexeditor.lagrida.com/ to preview your LaTeX before you post it.
Thank you for the helpful information. Judging by your profile and signature Im guessing your a ham radio operator. I got my technician license about a year ago, but Ive been too busy to get my radio properly setup and use it. Anyways thats really cool :) See you around.

Likes DeBangis21 and berkeman